Sunday, October 02, 2005

Mom, on Saturday instead

Well, got my ride to the PP thingy straightened out. The woman who’s giving me a ride is a bit older than me and has been a (good) witch for 30 years. She’s into herbal stuff, as Wicca is mostly that and not a religion to her. There’s so much fear and prejudice about Wicca and witches, I blame the popular media and yes, organized religion. It just doesn’t seem to be a good answer to “What Would Jesus Do?” for his followers to hate and shun people like gays, witches and anyone who doesn’t follow an exact, narrow little line. I’ve read the New Testament and that’s not the interpretation that I got out of it, to hate people different than me! But religion is a dangerous topic to bring up in any sort of public setting, so let’s drop that subject and go on to something a bit safer.

My Mom was glad to see me yesterday, even though it changed her schedule. I didn't get to do my other Saturday errands except for groceries on the way home. My son was even home to help carry in all of the water and groceries. Nice for me, because he usually is gone at work!

From my E-mail
The Church Sign
One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed Little Johnny was staring up at the large plaque that hung in the foyer of the church. The seven-year- old had been staring at the plaque for some time, so the pastor walked up, stood beside the boy, and said quietly, "Good morning, son."

"Good morning pastor" replied the young man, focused on the plaque.

"Sir, what is this?" Little Johnny asked.

"Well son, these are all the people who have died in the service," replied the pastor.

Soberly, they stood together, staring at the large plaque.

Little Johnny's voice barely broke the silence when he asked quietly, "Which one, sir, the 8:30 or the 10:30 service?"

The Dinner Party
Becky prepared a pasta dish for a dinner party she was giving. In her haste, however, she forgot to refrigerate the spaghetti sauce, and it sat on the counter all day. She was worried about spoilage, but it was too late to cook up another batch.

She called the local Poison Control Center and voiced her concern. They advised Becky to boil the sauce again.

That night, the phone rang during dinner, and Becky let the answering machine get the call. There was a nervous stir from the guests and Becky's face dropped as the voice leaving the message called out, loud and clear "It's the Poison Control Center. We just wanted to check back with you. How did the spaghetti sauce turn out?"

11 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

lol I love that last joke - maybe a bit close to home ... not that I have poisoned anyone. Honest!

Have a good day today and I do want to hear all about it

8:18 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

To be fair to the closed-minded Jebus freaks, Exodus 22:18 says "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Which is why I ask myself WWHSTD? (What Would Hunter S. Thompson Do?) I like the answers to that question better because they generally involve booze as a solution.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are excellent jokes! You can imagine that happening at a dinner party can't you?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I like the church joke, probably because I felt exactly that way growing up!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Still here, PB. Still enjoying your posts very much. Loved the church joke, btw! Can't wait to hear about your Wicca day. I have a friend who's a Wiccan.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not into discussing religion or politics much, I must say that you've brought up a good point about any religion. It is mankind who screws things up with self-serving interpretations of hate and exclusion. So, the founders of the Judao-Christian faiths never intended hate-mongering. It is the interpreters who screw things up. Good point!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

thanks for the laughs---I've been catching up, and spent about 15 minutes on your site---half of them laughing or crying.

Then, tellingly, I hate to type in optdio to leave my comments. I do opt dio, just not in an organized way.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I have a number of friends who are into the occult and some of them take it seriously. One of my good friends is a trot card reader and his GF reads palms. I have been to a few of the events they have held and after a couple of joints they could conjure up loads of stuff.
I was invited to the summer solstice 2 summers ago but declined. Not even the dancing naked around the fire got me to change my mind, THwey came close with the personal massage from soem of the witches but I didn't want a spell cast out on me. LOL
For the most part they are peaceful and mind their own business.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have to admit i don't understand the Witch thing. I've a friend who's into white magic. Don't understand that either. And saying that, that doesn't mean I'd judge those that are involved as long as it wasn't harming others. (Then I think I'd be judging heaps lol).

7:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Look forward to hearing about your Wiccan adventures :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I think there's a lot of conservatives that will be getting religion soon...if you know what I mean! Heh!

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home