Friday, September 30, 2005

Back again

I’m back again and tired, gee what a switch, ha ha. Seems like I’ve said that before! Woke up at 3:00 a.m. to the slapping of some outside netting in the inner courtyard at the hotel. It was loud. Cleveland was very windy the last day I was there, trees and power lines blown over. But that was far too early to wake and get up; it’s 2:00 a.m. in our time! And once again, I didn’t get home until after midnight last night and was too wound up to immediately go to bed. So today will be busy and hectic at work and I’m already tired and exhausted. Not much new with that.

I accomplished both of my goals while in Cleveland. The first was to get all my work goals done and have a great meeting with the registration people at the convention hotel. I had brought them some chocolates from Washington. Not that DC is known for its chocolates but these were touristy ones with monuments printed on the foil wrapping! Maybe it helped, as we had a great meeting and even some laughs. They are nice people.

In fact that’s why I accomplished my second goal too, the people in Cleveland are (usually—of course everyone is different and I’m generalizing here) outgoing, friendly and quite helpful. My second goal was to LIKE Cleveland. It’s hard to talk up a place that you despise, and I was close to that after my first trip there. It really wasn’t because of the inhabitants, as I had suspected, but because of circumstance (losing my luggage) and the efforts of Team Evil (Bosszila and co-workers). This time I saw Cleveland with a different eye and had a great time. Attitude is everything, and will show when I talk to our attendees about our convention. I wanted to be honestly “up” on Cleveland, and now I am. Goal #2 accomplished.

I have lots more to write about my little trip. It was short but I packed a lot into it and have stories to tell. Unfortunately my stories of DC sort of faded away after a day a so, and I don’t have a lot of time to write this morning, need to be in to work at 7:00. Sorry, but I’ll probably only have time to hit a couple of blogs to read and comment too before having to leave for work.

In a former job I had, I used to help clients set goals. It was my favorite job of all the work I’ve done! Goals aren’t a dull, dry old bother, but dynamic and exciting. It’s how I bring order to my otherwise chaotic life, but also how I have time to do the fun things, the important things that I need and want to do. I just read a great book about the opposite approach, improv!

Are you the type of person who sets goals, or more of an improviser?

14 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Welcome back! :)

I set goals but very seldom actually meet them...which is VERY frustrating.

And don't feel alone...I am tired today too...I can't wait for my workday to be over! :)

6:39 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Welcome back! Glad that the trip was good.
I try and set goals, and some I actually make! Most of the time I just end up where I started.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Glad your trip was good.. and look now it is the weekend how fun is that! I have goals but I won't get into what I do with them! Have a great weekend :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

I had a goal to leave you a comment, but now that I've started I feel fulfilled and the comment seems to have stopped. Now I don't know if I achieved my goal or not.

I'm so confused.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I set goals, but I tend to improvise along the way. When I first started writing seriously, I tried to write from an outline but the stories kept coming alive and deviating from the plan. Now I make goals like "Write another story" or "Quit drinking sodas". I stick to those goals, but improvise my way through.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

My goal is always to improvise. Life's just easier that way..

3:56 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I'm a goal gal. I'm glad you reacher yours during this trip! Welcome home!
Lois Lane

4:14 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I set goals. Like finally getting my computer going again and visiting my favorite haunts. Glad to had a good time while away.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Welcome back!
Definite goal setter here LOL, think it goes hand in hand with my obessive compulsive personality!
Congrats on a highly successful trip :) Look forward to hearing some tales!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Welcome back PBS.
Glad that things went well.
Impulisvley I would think that I am an improvisor but after all the uni/college work then I must set goals for myself.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I always try for the best of both worlds---I set goals but let myself improvise in the way to reach them.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I always try for the best of both worlds---I set goals but let myself improvise in the way to reach them.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I always try for the best of both worlds---I set goals but let myself improvise in the way to reach them.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I always try for the best of both worlds---I set goals but let myself improvise in the way to reach them.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home