Friday, September 23, 2005

A potential new career as a car sitter?

Well, I’m back! It was such a busy blur that I don’t know how to start. Lots of work and long hours but I had a good time. The fun was with the people, our clients and not in any place we went or particular thing I did. In fact, I didn’t leave the hotel except in a cab and then only to go to where the grand finale was held, at Union Station.

I got to sit in a senator’s car. All by myself. Two congressman drove their own car and wanted to come in to speak at our grand finale. The middle drop-off lane at Union Station doesn’t allow unattended cars, even ones with that metal “Congressional Parking” or whatever it said on the windshield. So when I was closing down the welcome table, the president of one of our partner organizations asked if I could possibly sit in their car while they were speaking. I was hoping for a limo or something but it was just a car, a very nice and comfortable car, though.

At first it was kind of hot because the weather was much warmer than I was used to, and I was dressed in a suit. But as I sat in the car in the hot sun, I started to get into it, watching the people go in and out of Union Station and doing a pile of work I had brought in. I wanted to take off my heels but didn’t want to get too comfortable in the car in case they suddenly reappeared! I knew they couldn’t stay at our celebration very long.

What a great career that might be, sitting in cars while people go into Union Station. I could read a book or listen to music on CDs, bring a bottle of water and some healthy (non-crumbly) snacks. And I would be providing a helpful service to people in government. What do you think?

from my E-mail (which was too full to take any more messages)
Top 5 Smart Ass Answers for 2005

Smart Ass Answer #5: A flight attendant was stationed at the departure gate to check tickets. As a man approached, she extended her hand for the ticket and he opened his trench coat and flashed her. Without missing a beat....she said, "Sir, I need to see your ticket, not your stub."

Smart Ass Answer #4: A lady was picking through the frozen turkeys at the grocery store, but she couldn't find one big enough for her family she asked a stock boy, "Do these turkeys get any bigger?" The stock boy replied, "No ma'am, they're dead."
Smart Ass Answer #3: The cop got out of his car and the kid who was stopped for speeding rolled down his window. I've been waiting for you all day," the cop said. The kid replied, "Yeah, well I got here as fast as I could." When the cop finally stopped laughing, he sent the kid on his way without a ticket.
Smart Ass Answer #2: A truck driver was driving along on the freeway. A sign comes up that reads, "Low Bridge Ahead." Before he knows it, the bridge is right ahead of him and he gets stuck under the bridge. Cars are backed up for miles. Finally, a police car comes up. The cop gets out of his car and walks to the truck driver, puts his hands on his hips and says, "Got stuck, huh?" The truck driver says, "No, I was delivering this bridge and ran out of gas."

AND NOW...FOR THE #1 SMART ASS ANSWER SO FAR FOR THE YEAR 2005
A college teacher reminds her class of tomorrow's final exam. Now class, I won't tolerate any excuses for you not being here tomorrow. I might consider a nuclear attack or a serious personal injury or illness, or a death in your immediate family, but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever!" A smart ass guy in the back of the room raised his hand and asked, "What would you say if tomorrow I said I was suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?" The entire class is reduced to laughter and snickering. When silence is restored, the teacher smiles knowingly at the student, shakes her head and sweetly says: Well, I guess you'd have to write the exam with your other hand."
__________________________________________________

How was your week? I missed you all! The hotel did have a business center but I visited it to frantically make copies or compose sign-in sheets, so didn’t go online the entire time from Monday morning until now. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do! With my friends, too. I’m hoping to connect with some of them tonight or tomorrow. I sent out lots of postcards and even brought back a few (little) gifts and momentos.

I got home at 12:30 last night and had to get up early to go to work today. It's probably going to be a long day as I'm still pretty tired. Have a great day, it's FRIDAY after all!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

yay glad to have you back, sounds like you had a good time even though it was work related...no problems with your bags this time i take it...

oooh car sitting sounds good, did they not leave the keys so you could have the air conditioning on...

have a great day...

:0)

5:45 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I am glad you had a decent time, I was thinking of you while you were gone.

Glad you are back though, the blog world just wasn't the same here without you. :)

Try and get some rest this weekend.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Wow, car sitting. That sounds as cool (or cooler) as being a 'seat-filler' at the Oscars!
Loved the jokes, especially the turkey one...
;-)

6:32 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ooooo...I'd GLADLY be a car sitter! :)

I've often thought I'd LOVE to be a pet-sitter too.

Glad to have you back! :)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I am glad that you are back and that you had a good time even though it was work related.
I have finally done my post now
Have a good weekend
Look after yourself.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Car sitter sounds almost as good as house sitter. Cars don't cry and barf on you, so run with it.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

i loved the smart ass answers!!!

Give me a WHY I AM SINGLE replies!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Welcome back, girl! We missed you!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Welcome back!
So glad it all went well. Loved the turkey joke! Car sitter....hmmmmm, i tink i'd get a sore bum for sitting so long!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Happy you are back.
A proffesional car sitter sounds like a job to have.
Just think. If you know how long they will be gone for you can take off and do your shopping and have a grand ol time. :)
Have a nice weekend

2:19 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I could go with a car sitting job. Sounds relaxing and comfy. Hey, sounds almost like a valet, 'cept you don't have to go anywhere or move anything. Did he tip you?? lol

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home