Sunday, September 25, 2005

Harvesting to beat the frost

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Fizzy! Walker and Lisa both have some very cool birthday blogs for her, check them out if you haven't already.

Since coming home from the work trip, my days have been screwed up. Friday, because it was the first day back to the office seemed like Monday. Yesterday seemed like Sunday for some reason. I don't know what day today feels like yet! But I bet it will normalize and feel like a Sunday when I go out to my Mom's later, though.

Mmmmmm, had a dinner of freshly picked corn last night. It was out of this world, fresh, succulent and so full of flavor. We ate it plain, no butter or salt. It was delicious and didn’t need any additions. It reminded me of the corn I used to have as a child on my Dad’s farm. Right before dinner time we’d go and pick a bagful of corn, shuck, cook and have it as our meal. I didn’t plant a lot of corn, just a few rows in my tiny little garden but now I’m so glad that I did! The ears were small but far tastier than even the farmer’s market corn or the corn you can buy directly from the growers in pickup trucks alongside the road.

Ricky the chinchilla loves to eat the leftover cobs. Natty my Chihuahua does too. Probably Nebby and Duggy would like a corn cob to eat (or more likely, to play with) but ferrets are subject to digestive troubles so they don’t get to eat people food.

I picked all the tomatoes and cucumbers and all of the corn. I brought in the two pepper plants with little green peppers on them to sit in our most sunny window. The peppers were too small to pick yet and I’m hoping they can grow a bit in the house. We are expecting frost tonight. Some of my vines were already frosted. The cold weather was kind of a shock to come home to when I had just gotten used to and had started enjoying the heat and humidity of Washington DC!

I haven’t dug up the potatoes yet. It will be a while before the ground freezes so there’s no big rush. Wish I had planted some carrots; homegrown carrots are fantastically delicious too.

After sleeping to the unheard of hour of 9:00 a.m.(went to bed around 4:30 a.m.) I got up and went to $3 spaghetti day with SLA and had a couple of beers. SLA’s life has gotten no better. The only good thing is that she has sold her house (before she lost it) but needs to move out by October 28. Her previous employment had called her back and she was so happy when I left for DC. She found out on the very day she was to have re-started the job on a different shift that they had hired someone else! Why did they call and often her the job back then, last week? Seems like a really crummy thing to do, especially to a person who is losing everything. Her unemployment is ending soon, too, with no new job in sight. It’s very scary what can happen to a person when they lose their job like that. There’s no safety net for people in trouble anymore, nothing to halt their descent.

This fun quizzy thing is from Michelle, the queen of quizzes, she finds some really good ones.




You're Siddhartha!

by Hermann Hesse

You simply don't know what to believe, but you're willing to try
anything once. Western values, Eastern values, hedonism and minimalism, you've spent
some time in every camp. But you still don't have any idea what camp you belong in.
This makes you an individualist of the highest order, but also really lonely. It's
time to chill out under a tree. And realize that at least you believe in
ferries.



Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.



Wonder if the spelling of “ferries” is a joke? I really can’t tell from the context.
I know these are mostly just for fun but this is so accurate that it's spooky! Was yours? Have a super Sunday!

12 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. Have a good Sunday.
(And I can't believe you guys are getting frost up there already!)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Thank you so much. I saw your lovely comment on LIsa's page too. I am having a brill day today hehehehe

I think this quiz thing is a bit too spooky sometimes --->


You're David Copperfield!
by Charles Dickens
Coming up from a childhood that felt abusive, you have risen through hard work to gain a place of stature in your life. You've spent altogether too much time in factories and end up misspelling a fair number of words. But in general you are seen as a beacon of hope for others who might not be as fortunate. Lots of people keep mistaking you for a magician and are waiting for you to disappear.


I am sorry this is happening to your friend it all seems so unfair. What a horrible thing to do to her.

We are doing a little bit of gardening today (I only have a little garden ) I wish I could grow verg like you do. the way you describe it makes my mouth water

Thanks again

7:51 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

You're right - this quiz is a little too accurate for something so short.

You're Loosely Based!
by Storey Clayton
While most people haven't heard of you, you're a really good and interesting person. Rather clever and witty, you crack a lot of jokes about the world around you. You do have a serious side, however, where your interest covers the homeless and the inequalities of society. You're good at bringing people together, but they keep asking you what your name means.

- Zorzan

8:16 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Dale: Hope you have a good Sunday too! Yes, it feels pretty cold to me here today.

Fizzy: You certainly ARE a beacon of hope (and interesting stories!) that quiz is spooky! Glad to hear you're having a great day, you deserve it!

8:17 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Zorzan: The quiz IS so accurate that it's creepy. (I must have missed your comment because of typing at about the same time)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

I took the test and I came out as "The things they carried" by Tim O'Brien... I don't think it was that accurate on me, but it said on the end I would come back as a water buffalo in my next life and that suits me fine (he, he)...

your veggies description made me starve!
(c'mon, give some corn to those poor little ferrets)

hope things improve on your friend's life!

9:54 AM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Does it feel like Sunday yet?

I can emphasize with your friend. I'm practically in the same boat.

The quiz results were sorta creepy, since at first I was thinking this isn't me, but after thinking about it....it is! :(

You're The Sound and the Fury!
by William Faulkner
Strong-willed but deeply confused, you are trying to come to grips with a major crisis in your life. You can see many different perspectives on the issue, but you're mostly overwhelmed with despair at what you've lost. People often have a hard time understanding you, but they have some vague sense that you must be brilliant anyway. Ultimately, you signify nothing.

FROST???? NO! Where is there frost?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

You're To Kill a Mockingbird!
by Harper Lee
Perceived as a revolutionary and groundbreaking person, you have changed the minds of many people. While questioning the authority around you, you've also taken a significant amount of flack. But you've had the admirable guts to persevere. There's a weird guy in the neighborhood using dubious means to protect you, but you're pretty sure it's worth it in the end. In the end, it remains unclear to you whether finches and mockingbirds get along in real life.


I'm not so sure about my results but they did make me laugh!

I LOVE fresh food from the garden. I'll have to invite myself over for supper sometime! :)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Fizzy!

LOL, i wondered about the "Ferries" too!

Your poor SLA, i find that so sad and disheartening. I guess its great she sold her house, hopefully that will provide a little cash to get her by.
One thing i have always found odd knowing how progressive the States is, is the way your unemployment works....it's extremely tough compared to ours.....mind you, ours probably goes too far towards encouraging people not to look for work. Also, now i could be wrong and please if any of you know would you correct me because i am so curious about this, if you have served time in jail, when you get out, you have no right to unemployment or housing services, loans etc. I kind of figure no wonder people end up back inside again if they have no support mechanism.

OOPS..sorry PBS..your blog not mine!
I love corn....dripping in butter and salt..yum!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Fresh corn from the garden is wonderful isn't it?? We've already had our freeze so we also cleaned out the gardens. We started making chow-chow today with the green tomatoes. I'm going to post on it soon if you are interested in chow-chow!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I am The Guns of August. Apparently a good motto for me would be, A fitting motto for you might be "Guns do kill, but so can diplomats." So true!

I will be thinking good thoughts for your friend!

10:49 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Ahh, fresh corn. That sounds delicious.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home