Thursday, September 01, 2005

It goes on

My Mom’s birthday today! Although we celebrated last Sunday, I will be sure to call her today and wish her a Happy Birthday on her actual day! I was lying awake last night, even though I’d gone to bed very late. The beautiful stars were shining down through the window and I couldn’t help but think about how much I love my life---even though it’s so temporary for all of us.

My apologies for not making blog rounds lately. As you may have guessed, I’ve spent a few nights after work out at the farm. Blogging has been a hurried, before going to work sort of activity for me lately. Last night I went from work to the doctor and from the doctor to the farm to see Vegetable Man. And get more vegetables, of course. It was lovely.

The doctor visit was not. I seldom go to the doctor unless there’s a problem, and I had an urgent medical dilemma Tuesday and called the clinic for an appointment. They got me right in on Wednesday after work (in fact I had to leave work a bit early) to do a biopsy, blood tests and set appointment for more tests, including an ultra scan. The doctor and I sat knee-to-knee in the examining room. She asked me lots of questions and looked me right in the eyes and said bluntly, “It could be cancer. There’s a likelihood.” How to explain the way I felt, ummmm, I can’t explain it. A sort of numbness, a horror, and just a feeling blankness.

The feeling isn’t a first for me. In August of 1990, the same month my Dad was diagnosed with colon cancer, I had a biopsy, tests and then an operation. The family didn’t pay much attention to my medical problems, as they were taken care of, while my Dad was fighting for his life. Vegetable Man, we were a couple at that time, and SLA (she who loves animals), my best friend went into the hospital with me. It all turned out fine, and even my Dad successfully fought off cancer for ten years until it finally got him.

So of course I’m thinking, is it nothing, something minor that’s fixable, or am I in a run for my money like my poor Dad? I selfishly am laying the burden of knowing/not knowing into my blog. I didn’t tell Vegetable Man and I’m not going to even mention it to my Mom or my son until the tests come back and they know better what they’re dealing with. Probably it’s nothing.

I brought a nice large beet to roast and a bunch of tomatoes picked right from the vine home from the farm. I came home pretty late, son was still at work, so I boiled a half-dozen eggs, for him and to put on the salad. Vegetable Man and I are going to a movie tonight, "March of the Penguins" is a movie about a year in the life of some penguins and Vegetable Man really wants to see it. Last night he told me that he had been missing a sense of play in his life. It was a compliment and I was quite pleased to hear it. I was also once was told (not by him, by someone else) that I go after life with the ferocity of a jackal—I don’t think that was a compliment! And life goes on…I hope to be able to catch up with YOUR lives soon! Have a great Thursday!

And here's my little Natty, at last!







Coffee Break with Surgeons
5 surgeons are taking a coffee break:

1st surgeon says, "Accountants are the best to operate on because when you open them up, everything inside is numbered."

2nd surgeon says, "Nah, librarians are the best. Everything inside them is in alphabetical order."

3rd surgeon says, "Try electricians, man! Everything inside them is color coded."

4th surgeon says, "I prefer lawyers. They're heartless, spineless, gutless, and their heads and butts are interchangeable."

5th surgeon says, "I like engineers ... they always understand when you have a few parts left over at the end." (glad I'm not an engineer!)

Ways To Stay Stressed
Are you worried now about how to stay stressed? You'll have no trouble if you practice the following clinically proven methods:

NEVER EXERCISE. Exercise wastes a lot of time that could be spent worrying.

EAT ANYTHING YOU WANT. Hey, if cigarette smoke can't cleanse your system, a balanced diet isn't likely to.

GAIN WEIGHT. Work hard at staying at least 25 pounds over your recommended weight.

TAKE PLENTY OF STIMULANTS. The old standards of caffeine, nicotine, sugar, and cola will continue to do the job just fine.

GET RID OF YOUR SOCIAL SUPPORT SYSTEM. Let the few friends who are willing to tolerate you know that concern yourself with friendships only if you have time, and you never have time. If a few people persist in trying to be your friend, avoid them.

PERSONALIZE ALL CRITICISM. Anyone who criticizes any aspect of your work, family, dog, house, or car is mounting a personal attack. Don't take time to listen, be offended, then return the attack!

MALES AND FEMALES ALIKE - BE MACHO. Never ever ask for help, and if you want it done right, do it yourself!

BECOME A WORKAHOLIC. Put work before everything else, and be sure to take work home evenings and weekends. Keep reminding yourself that vacations are for sissies.

DISCARD GOOD TIME MANAGEMENT SKILLS. Schedule in more activities every day than you can possibly get done and then worry about it all whenever you get a chance.

PROCRASTINATE. Putting things off to the last second always produces a marvelous amount of stress.

WORRY ABOUT THINGS YOU CAN'T CONTROL. Worry about the stock market, earthquakes, the approaching Ice Age, you know, all the big issues.

BECOME NOT ONLY A PERFECTIONIST BUT SET IMPOSSIBLY HIGH STANDARDS......and either beat yourself up, or feel guilty, depressed, discouraged, and/or inadequate when you don't meet them.

THROW OUT YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR. Staying stressed is no laughing matter, and it shouldn't be treated as one.

16 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

Until you start writing a blog you don't understand the part one plays on your life. It is a great therapy. I can't imagine what is going through your mind right now. But want you to know that there are many of us that will listen to you.

I am glad that I got to see your dog's picture she looks a real pal.

Look after yourself.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I agree...a blog is the best therapy!!! That's a HUGE reason why I blog...I can put stuff there that I can't tell anyone or maybe even put into words. Does that make sense??? I hpe so.

I'll say a little prayer for you, PBS....believe me, I know that feeling....I once had a scare like that myself. And I too didn't tell my mom till the "danger" was past....I figured "No need to worry her so bad!" (she's a HUGE worry-wart). Of course, she was pretty ticked off when I eventually did tell her but she got over it....:)

Stay positive (as you obviously are)!!! :)

P.S. Litte Natty is SO CUTE!!! Is (s)he a Chihuahua? I had a little white Chihuahua with black spots that I named "Harley" (after the motorcycle). I told my boyfriend (a motorcycle nut) at the time "Now you can tell everyone you have a Harley at home!!!" :)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

this is what we are here for, to vent all your worries and anguish, i have been in your position a few years ago and you are so much calmer than I was, much more level headed approach than my headless chicken theory...i hope that your results are clear, when will you know...???

and your little dog is so cute...and i know it isn't important but don't forget to get your freebie neopoints @ www.neopets.com/freebies...

10:42 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I will be keeping you in my thoughts PB, we are all here to listen to you.
Oh my goodness, that is one cute dog!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you tons. I hope that your test results are clear. Let us know, we're all here for you. Stay positive.
Take care, aims x

1:06 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Please let us know what you learn, and keep on taking strength from the day you're in. Good thoughts to you.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

you will be in my thoughts and prayers. The 'not knowing' is the hardest. Take care and know that you have lots of blog friends pulling for you.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Restless Angel said...

Blogs are great for therapy, or just random nothings....

I hope this scare is just that, a scare. Love the dog's picture!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I want to say thanks for checking my blog and Dan's. It was appreciated.
I know the feeling. I nearly fainted when I was told that in 1996.
You should confide in your family though. I would be upset if my wife was going thru that alone. I have said a prayer for you. I'll check back.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Hi PBS,
I'm sorry you have this time of uncertainty with your health. I forget if you know that I have an alternative blog that discusses some issues that I am dealing with healthwise. I'm always here to talk, via blog or email if you'd rather because of the nature of some issues. Your in my thoughts, I'll send positive energy your way.
Phil

(sorry I didn't put your name down correctly, I'm fried today)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a darling dog!
PBS, crossing fingers and toes down under for a great result for you, your in my thoughts :)

1:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, PBS: It's 2:24 in thhe morning and I've loved BLOGGING too. Don't panic. One day at a time until you know more. A great post BTW and you are most definitely in my thoughts and prayers for good news. I see lots of other great BLOGGERS here agree!
Hang in!!

1:24 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

This too shall pass...and then you can get it on in a major way with the veggie man. Your doggie is a sweetie and she (?) will love you and get you through this. Keep on hangin' on.

1:29 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I am so sorry you are going through this, nothing scarier than not knowing.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

How are you?

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home