Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Until the lake freezes over


This a a photo of the big lake freezing over. A co-worker took it but I have to use it without permission because he doesn't know about my blog. It's cold here and we've had snow the past two days. Snow is pretty but it's not fun to shovel, which it looks like I may have to today in order to get out for work. Driving in snow isn't fun either, so I'm leaving for work early.

I've missed you all and sort of replaced my blogging habit :(
So here's a quick rundown of what's up in my world. I DO really hope to get the time to visit your blog soon and catch up on what's happening in YOUR world, too!

I've lost a total of 52 pounds and even people at work are noticing. The guys were the first to notice, or at least say anything about it! BZ and Favorite Co-worker haven't said a word, of course.

The lovely tax people did an audit on my 2004 tax return and are asking for a whole bunch of money (from all the penalties). I'm appealing but just sent in my last appeal yesterday. If I lose this one, I must either pay all of that money or they will garnish my wages.

Job is the same, in fact I have an annual review coming up that I am dreading. I do have to take ten days off before the end of the year or lose them. Now that would be stupid to lose my days off...

House is the same, still pretty much a demolition site in the basement. The woman helping me had a fire in her own house and needs to get it liveable by the end of the year or lose her homestead tax exemption for property tax. So things haven't been progressing, but that's OK I guess. So far I'm hanging on here and my son is working again down there and it looks like they will stay there.

And some crazy good, sort of, news..I'm going to be a grandma!!!!!
Remember how my son broke up with his girlfriend? Well turns out that in late October she found out that she was pregnant, very pregnant. And they had wondered why she kept gaining weight all those past months! So anyway, they are back together since finding out they are going to be parents. I had a weird mix of emotions over it: excited to be a "nana" at first, then sad for my son who had broken up with her because he liked another girl and wanted to date her.

The kids were in denial over it and she has not even gone to the doctor even yet. So I was worried about them and felt I needed to jump-start their responsibility towards this new life, so I went shopping in thrift stores and got a whole bunch of baby things and clothing. Had a day off the Wednesday before Thanksgiving so I washed up all the baby stuff, cooked a bunch of food. Thursday I spent with my Mom but on Friday I went to see the kids with the jeep loaded down with good stuff. It was fun to look at the little bitty baby things! The tiny little socks really got to me, and the bunting, and the onesies--everything so cute and so tiny. The kids reacted in the same way as I did, with lots of awwwwwws and oooooohs.

Her due date (they think, she just had an ultrasound which cost my son $130 and couldn't even tell if the baby is a boy or a girl, no doctor has examined her yet) is December 11th. Soon, very very soon. And another weird thing about it is that my neighbors are also having their first child and I've watched her grow larger all summer and fall--her due date is December 9th. Little did I know that I would have a grandchild about that time, too! Life is so strange. Especially this year. How has your year been so far?

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on becoming a grandma! We've missed ya here in blogland!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Gee I sure have missed you and such a lot has happened in your life. Congrats on your news about becoming a Nanna. There is nothing like a baby to bring joy to your world. I do hope it works out for your son and his GF.

Sorry to hear that not much progress has been made on your house and that your job is still the same. Of course BZ and favourite co-worker haven't said a word about your weight loss. The word jealousy springs to mind. 52lbs is AMAZING. Hope you're not getting too skinny though.

Hope the tax thing works out. I know you don't need anymore financial woes. Again.....so happy to see you and take care on those icy roads. Hugs xx

7:51 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I've really missed you! I'm glad things are doing well. I can't believe she is due in like 2 weeks and has not seen a doctor! YIKES! Congrats on being a Nana though! I'm actually looking forward to it one day myself. I'm planning a wedding for mine though.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Congrats on being a grandma soon and BIG congrats on loosing 52 pounds, WOW!!!!!!

Tax people are a pain and cold i find.
I hope you can get that all sorted out and save yourself some of the penalties but knowing from the tax people here you will need a lot os luck if they are of the same cloth.

Sorry to hear the house has not progressed more but that to will fall into place in time.

Take the ten days off with Christmas and let BZ do your work for a change and let her see how easy it is to work for her.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations on the grandkid. Everyone should have one.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Good to finally hear from you, have been popping in and out to see if you've updated.

And wow, what an update! A grandchild? How very exciting for you all. Congratulations PBS.

52lbs? What a fantastic achievement. Good for you hun!

Good luck with getting the basement done...the timing's crap (of course ANY time for that would have been), but if anyone can get it sorted, I reckon you can.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

52 pounds is significant....wow! As you know from my blahg, I love being a grandmother. It enriches your life from day one.

3:58 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Glad to see you around again. Ugh. The IRS. Puke.

Whenever it gets snowy, I wish so much that we lived in a little apartment and just had a little book store underneath us. No worries about getting to work, the perfect job...ah.

Congratulations, grandma!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I have really really missed you in blogiland. (although I have not done that much). Congratulations on becoming a Nana.
Well done with the weight loss

6:15 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh I have missed SO MUCH!!!

Congrats on becoming a grandma AND losing 52 pounds!!! That is AWESOME!

I had some surgery done so I've been a BAD BLOGGER LATELY AND AM JUST NOW GETTING BACK INTO THE GROOVE, YOU KNOW??

7:20 AM  
Blogger deni said...

A surprise grandbaby! What a cool Christmas present.

I hope that all is good.

6:08 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

52 pounds?!? Wow!

I'm wondering about the baby! It's December 11th!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on the weight loss and becoming a Gramma!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

PBS I miss you
Where are you?
Are you OK?

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HELLO! It has been a while, hasn't it! My best to you on the IRS audit and becoming a Nana! Stop by for a visit anytime! :D

9:35 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I stopped in to wish you a Merry Christmas to you and your family.
I hope all is well

1:21 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Just stopping by to wish you a very Merry Christmas and lets hope that 2008 is a much better year for you. Much love, Karen xx

4:28 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Happy holidays to you ... warm wishes to you and yours for a love-filled and cheery new year!

4:52 PM  
Blogger deni said...

Merry Christmas!

I hope you and your family are well.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Nigel G Mitchell said...

Wait, I'm missing something...why are they hitting you on your 2004 taxes in 2007? And what penalties? I ask because I don't relish the idea of the IRS knocking on my door. And want to prepare.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home