Friday, June 01, 2007

Oh such luxury!

Well, I'm back. I returned last Thursday by taxi cab at nearly midnight to a dark house that had been left unattended for eight days. Rather scary, actually. I checked everything out, top and bottom before dragging my two suitcases into the bedroom. Well, they had the open house on Sunday and the neighbor whom I asked to watch the house walks their dog up and down past the house several times a day. But still, the house felt and even smelled different. Lonely. I visited a few blogs one day after getting back home but didn't have time to write anything yet until now.

The convention was exhausting, fun for work when you consider I was getting paid for it, but work all the same. There were some days that I started (all showered and dressed up in a suit) at 6:00 a.m. and didn't quit work until 10:00 p.m. and this without any lunch breaks or breaks of any kind. Dealing with people asking questions most of all those hours. I swear that on the last day I couldn't have answered the simplest question, I was so burnt out and exhausted.

The questions were all over the map too, so I had to be alert, think fast and deal politely and kindly with them all. And keep an unflustered, smiling face even though I was hungry, thirsty, tired and had to go to the bathroom quite a bit of the time I was stranded at the information desk all those long days!

That ended last week, this week has been doing the aftermath of the convention, all the accounting stuff. There are reimbursements for certain people, sponsor payments, tickets sold and staff timesheets, OT sheets and travel reimbursements for me figure out. I've still been very busy but at least the hours aren't so long. And I can wear normal office clothing, not suits, heels and nylons. Also I can get up and leave my desk, to get coffee, ice water or go to the bathroom. I can zap my lunch from home in the microwave and eat it at my desk while working. Oh such luxury after the conditions at the convention!

The good part of all of this? Well, firstly that it's over, finally, but also that I will be paid some OT for my work at the convention. Good thing as my property taxes, which were already very high rose. The amount is escrowed and the mortgage company needs to collect the "shortfall" so my mortgage went up $200 more per month. Yikes! It was sort of borderline affordable anyway, and my son left (with his rent payment and grocery buying, lawn mowing, etc. help) and now this!

I was really disappointed to return and not have an offer on the house. I know the housing market has fallen and it's a poor time to be selling a house, but I was hoping.

I have been spoiled in selling houses, this is the longest it's ever taken for me to sell a house. The first house that I bought on my own (owned several houses and apartments when married) sold in two-and-a-half days! The second in one day, and the little country house sold in half a day! So you can see that I am accustomed to putting a house up for sale and selling it right away, almost before I'm ready to leave, really. Not this time. I signed the listing on May 14th and here it is June already. It surprises me. It shouldn't, but it does. And worries me a little, too.

Hope you have a great weekend!


Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Welcome home. Good luck with the house.

8:37 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Glad you are back safe and sound...and exhausted. Good to hear that you will be paid appropriately for your extra work. Hang in there about the house...if it appealed to will certainly appeal to someone soon. I bet you miss Ricky eh? Missed you while sure to tell us all about your adventures...though you may want to forget about it just the same.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

good luck with the house, but try not to let it get you down---you could use some easy-going...

5:43 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Welcome home. Sounds like the convention was really draining! I'm anxious to sell a house, too. Not mine though. I loaned a friend some money and she promised to repay me when her house is sold. It's been a month now and still no sale. Patience, my friend. Good things come to those who wait.


I hope you're not offended by my current post, PB. It wasn't aimed at you but rather an anonymous commenter. Your comments are always gentle and often helpful.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Michael Manning said...

pbs: I am sending "Good Vibrations" your way as I have a friend who sells homes for a living and she too says it's a bit slow. But hang in. The "right buyer" will nab it!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home