Friday, April 27, 2007

work and the church search

It seems like I've been gone for a long time. Well, maybe because I have been gone for awhile just doing the normal things in my life, like work work work. I worked 10 hours with no breaks or lunch yesterday, but that beats the 13 and 14 hours of the past couple of weeks. Our convention is coming closer and the work is piling on. It always happens like that and I'm thinking, can't I quick get another job and escape all of this? But there's no time to look for a different job. Oh well, in another month the whole thing will be done and over.

Last weekend I truly had a score in my church search. Went to a new church that had an early service. I was planning to go to the new one and then stop by my regular church (where my HS best friend attends) for the later service. But I was greeted warmly by several people as I came in to the new church and a younger woman sat down beside me. We talked quite a bit before and after the service and she told me of a church I'd never heard about, right downtown in the city where I work. I was intrigued, because I'd searched online and in the Yellow Pages for possible churches. The fact that it has a free coffee bar a half hour before the service was a huge point in it's favor!

So I drove downtown and found parking nearby and went in to the new church. It's in an old Shriner's building and the large room has a disco ball on the ceiling! I had some coffe-shop-worthy coffee and found my new friend. She was sitting with several other women and I was introduced to them all. As the service started up, she leaned over and said to me, "Bet you didn't realize I was inviting you to a rock concert!" And the music was really rocking, the band was awesome. I was not expecting that, even though the church I normally attend has a "contemporary" service too. But not like this one, this folks really got into it!

The pastor was young, full of energy and an excellent speaker. They had a guest speaker, the very interesting . Shane Claiborne.
I'd not heard of him before but ending up buying his book and CD and listening and reading all this past week! Now this is the type of church I was looking for, and didn't even know it. It's very diverse, all ages and types of people. They had a dinner after the service where I sat and ate and met even more people. Very fun. I'm going back there this Sunday! Hope you had a good week and are headed for an awesome weekend!

18 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

There you are! I'd wondered where you'd gotten to!!!

Glad to hear you had such a great time at the new church. It's always a bit scary to me to go to a new place for the very first time....but it sure sounds like it worked out for you!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Finding a church home is so hard. I'm glad to hear you have found a place you like.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

thank you for pointing out the Shane link and giving me the most meaningful morning I've had in a long time.

I was worried about you, but relieved to find that it was just work, as weird as that sounds. XX

12:57 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Good for you. I wish that I could find a church that I like to take Liv. The one we attend just doesn't knock my socks off...

A disco ball. Wow. Did you dance?

1:08 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

glad you had a good time...and some good coffee too.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It sounds like a very interesting place: relevant and contemporary. I don't know if I'd like the whole package, but they're trying hard, and the coffee is a great idea.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Sounds liek you found something the suits how you feel and fun for you to go to.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

A church with a disco ball? How interesting and fascinating. Sounds to me like you've found a new church that suits you very well. I'd be keen to go along myself just to see the disco ball lol.

Good for you for going along and meeting up with lots of new people. Sounds good to me and less strenuous than Salsa! lol

3:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Thats great news! Free coffee is always a good idea. Hope that work calms down soon!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back! Good coffee and a Disco ball inside an old Shriner's Building. I knew there had to be a reasonable explanation. :)!

7:43 PM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

Well I know the feeling. That is ezactly how I felt when I walked into my church for the first time. I felt so welcome and had so many people come up and introduce theirselfs, I couldn't help but come back again and again. It is a fairly small church. The music is what really got me. It was, I guess you could say newer christian music. The church is very geared to the young. I am glad you found a good place.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

So pleased you found the church you were looking for! Hooray!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger deni said...

Just stopping by to say hiya, glad I am not the only one who has been neglecting there blog.

I am happy that you found a church you like, I hope things are going well for you.

1:07 PM  
Blogger angela marie said...

It makes all the difference when you find a church you really love!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Having trouble blogging?

Yeah...me too!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You're very quiet these days. Hope you're okay.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Stopped by to wish you a Happy Mothers Day

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just started thinking about returning to Church but if I do then I want to find a new Church like the one you've just found. I may have to go exploring next Sunday.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home