Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Triumph and Tragedy, in history

The History Day competition this past Saturday was really interesting and fun. I judged individual exhibits, Junior Division. The theme this year was "Triumph and Tragedy" and some of the exhibits I saw were:

  • Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (Civil Rights Movement-related)
  • King Tutankhamun-the Triumh Over Grave Robbers
  • Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs: A triumph in women's feminism
  • The Manhattan Project
  • Do You Believe in Miracles: Miracle on Ice US hockey team beats the Russians
  • Freedom's Wheels are Rolling: the triumph and tragedy of the Freedom Riders in Anniston, Alabama
  • The Edmund Fitzgerald
  • Lou Gehrig and the disease
  • The Triumph and Tragedy of the Titanic
  • CC Camps

And many other exhibits, there were a total of 91! Don't those topics just make you want to look up more about them? We judged in teams of two and my fellow judge was a professor from a local college. He was a good interviewer of the kids but a bit harsh in his written comments and gave low scores. They fed us well, too, always one of the reasons I like to judge, ha ha! And lots of good coffee. After it was done, I got my 6th History Day T-shirt and actually found a new design this year. Like all the others, I gave it to my son because I don't look that great in T-shirts.

I didn't attend the awards ceremony, which is usually one of my favorite things about History Day. I spent time with my Mom because Saturday would have been my Dad's 90th birthday. He wasn't an April Fool, he often said! Did you try any April Fool's jokes this year?

9 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

No April's Fool's stuff here. I was too exhausted from the previous work week.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the history day. Although I'm really not a huge history buff, the topics you mention did make me want to do some googling...especially the freedom rider one!

2:25 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I love history, so I found this very interesting! What a fun day!

Sounds like your dad was quite a card. :)
We switched the kids from bed to bed the night of April Fools, and then at supper, I served 'fruit punch' with a straw...which was really cherry jello in a glass. They thought it was funny!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

I love history. Well, I love all learning, really. I had to judge a science fair once and felt it was difficult to be at all critical of kids' efforts.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I totally forgot it was April Fools Day! I usually manage to fool someone so I suppose this year, the joke was on me!

:-)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

The PK's mom and dad actually got married on April Fools Day (many, many years ago). That's the only reason I ever remember their anniversary!

Nope, I really didn't think about fooling anyone this year!

7:49 AM  
Blogger katie said...

No april fools jokes for me! Interesting project topics.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Those topics do make me want to learn more. How did you first become involved with the History Day competition? Maybe you've told us already.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I have always been fascinated with the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I dunno why...

Maybe a previous life?

7:47 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Glad you had a good time for your history day...and lots of coffee...I know you love your coffee. Another place I blog for a (community blog)...the administrator of the site said he was leaving the blog and going to write for the NYT and it would be for the Bush administration. We all knew that to be impossible...or he was on drugs. He fessed up 2 days later.

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home