Thursday, April 05, 2007

Even little things can be an adventure

Well, it's a bright new day. Figuratively speaking, of course, since it's still dark outside. I had my son's old high-speed internet for half a day until Monday morning when it stopped working. Good thing the old dial-up was still connected so I had to switch back to that. It posed some problems until I deleted all the old connections and started from scratch. Lucky it worked as I'm not knowledgeable about stuff like that and my son has moved away. I suspect the high-speed internet was shut off, but I don't know for sure. It still looks lively enough with flashing lights and all!

The church where I've been going the past couple of weeks is having a 30-days of prayer thing. Every night is a gathering at a home or the church and last night was at the church, so after I went to the library I decided to go there and check it out.

Like many things I do, this one also turned out to be pretty funny in how it all worked out. Let's revisit last night's church going:

1) When I drove to the church, the parking lot looked empty. "Did I pick the right place for the right night?" I thought and drove into the lot to dig out the schedule and turn around. In the parking lots I saw a glimpse of a car parked behind the church. Aha! They were parked in a different, hidden spot that couldn't be seen from the road.

2) I parked and went inside the church. Despite the many cars tucked in the parking space hidden behind the church, there seemed to be nobody there even though I looked around in the classroom, meeting areas and dining room. I was leaving in defeat as a couple was coming in. "Is this the right night?" I asked them, and it was the right night. So we all three went in.

3) The couple showed me a tucked away, hidden room. Through the window in the closed door we could see a group of people sitting in a circle. It was already a minute or two past the scheduled starting time. "Is this the right place?" I asked the couple, "Have they already started, should I just go in?" They nodded at me, so,

4) I went into the room and sat in a cushy chair, the only vacant chair in the circle of people. It creaked and made a horrible noise. It was embarrassing! The group of people told me, "Better not sit in that one, it's broken!" (so why don't they take it away then or at least put a warning note on it?) So a guy got me a new chair and I sat down.

5) I still was settling in when I realized the group was having a meeting all right--and it wasn't the prayer meeting--and I was sitting in the middle of it! They were finishing up some other meeting and here I had barged right into the middle of their meeting.

Yikes! What an experience. It could only get better after all of that, and it did. Have a great Thursday!

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Try stopping the modem (pull the plug), waiting for a minute, and then re-starting it. You never know.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Yeesh! I HATE it when I have to walk into a room full of people like that. I SO do not like being the center of attention!!!

Can't wait to hear the "it could only get better after all of that" part! :)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Oops! I know it must have been hard for you but it is funny reading it. I hate being the first one there for things too and not really knowing where to go or even if you are in the right place.

I'm with Stacy, can't wait to hear the "rest of the story."

9:54 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I did almost the EXACT same thing with a different situation. I decided to go to an overeater's anonymous meeting a few years ago at a church. I walked in and there in a circle were several rotund women. I sat down too, thinking with relief that everyone was a LOT fatter than I was.

A church meeting ensued and then I put my foot in my mouth by announcing that, "OH! I thought this was the overeater's anonymous meeting!"

They all looked like they wanted to kill me.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Are you sure you didn't stumble into some secret society.

Have a Happy Easter

10:40 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Did you at least get a vote?

11:52 AM  
Blogger Salha said...

so whats the hush hush meeting about? any juicy secret?

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home