Wednesday, April 18, 2007

An unsolved mystery

On Monday night we worked until 9 p.m. last night--and I started at 7:20 a.m.! This was with no breaks or stopping for lunch (I ate though, but just kept working). It was hard to go to bed even though I was really tired, so I also stayed up too late!

In coming home over the interstate bridge, I saw a small, dark (dark jacket and pants) figure walking slowly UP THE ENTRANCE RAMP on to the bridge! I didn't have a cell phone but called 911 immediently as soon as I reached home. The police were aware of it because someone else had called it in, but they were asking me which side of the bridge because they couldn't find the person. So I am wondering, who was it and why were they there? Also, where did they go to, did they hide when they saw the police looking for them? It was a small figure, like a woman or a teenager. The bridge is in an industrial area with no houses, bars or shops anywhere near, so what were they doing down there?

I listened on my police radio to both cities' police departments looking for this person. They didn't find him/her after an extensive search on both sides of the bridge. I think he/she may have been going to jump off the bridge. People have done that. In fact, when I was working with low-income, troubled women, one of the women in my job-finding group drove up on the bridge, parked her car, climbed over the railing and jumped off the bridge. She had a lot of very serious problems and difficulties, like most of the women I was working with, but I would have never thought she would do that. It was right about this time of the year, too, when spring is promised but not quite here yet.

There were rumors whispered around the agency for a day or two before anyone told me what had happened. And here I was calling her phone and leaving messages asking if she was OK (because she hadn't shown up for class). Yikes! Hope I didn't cause any of her friends or relatives addtional pain by hearing those messages. But I seriously cannot think of much that could add on to or be worse than having a loved one jump off the bridge.

So since then, every once in a while, I wonder. What happened to that small, dark figure walking up on the bridge? Have you had any mysteries lately in YOUR life?

12 Comments:

Blogger angela marie said...

That is sad...I hope that this person did not commit suicide. Good of you to call the police though.

Nothing in my life is a mystery right now. It's all laid out there waiting to be taken care of. Yup.

:)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

No mysteries here. I hope that person didn't jump though, that is so sad. I just don't understand the despair it must take to try and take your own life. I don't think I will ever understand it.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

No, nothing mysterious lately. But I wonder about your mysterious figure- was a real person after all?

Sounds like the bridge would be just the kind of place that unhappy souls would wander!

9:12 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

No...just the crap Dubbie does.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

No. Nothing mysterious..but a few days ago, I was driving Liv to school and we saw this little girl who looked to be about 5 or 6 wearing a catholic school uniform walking to school. I know this sounds crazy, but my first thought was that how in the world would any parent let a tiny little girl like that walk to school when it was obvious that she had to cross a very busy intersection AND walk past a park that has lots of bushes and ravines for creepy peepers to jump out of.

I honestly WORRIED about this child. I wanted to stop and offer her a ride, but didn't want to scare her or encourage her to take rides from strangers.

So, I called 911. I KNOW that the operator thought I was insane.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Salha said...

nothing mysterious. i hope that person u saw is alive and ok. i cant imagine what drives a person to suicide

10:49 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Nope, no mysteries here.

And that is SO sad about that woman jumping off the bridge! Well, some people, no matter what you do or say, cannot be helped.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The closest was a man who had been shot twice who ran up to my car. It was past 11 PM and I swung around him and called the Paramedics who got to him ASAP. It was frightening. I can't wait tomove from this city!!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Not recently, but when I was younger, I knew a woman whose husband had jumped off the big bridge in Halifax---his body was never found; on the anniversary of his death, she jumped....it was horrifying !

10:22 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I hope that this person was found or managed to get to safety, it is not nice not knowing what happened.
Ihave read back I am so glad that your son called and is settled. I am also glad that your dog has settled in although I am sure that you miss her.

Sounds like you have had a busy week or two. Did you find a ferret sitter?
How do you go about that?
I am sorry that I have not been a very good blogger recently, I have just gone back to work after the Easter break and that has taken up my time.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Some people just don't think things through and go to extremes for no reason.
I know a few people that have tried to off themselves and one succeeded.
Its a waste of life.

I don't have mysteries in my house if something is off then its the cats that did it lol

Have a nice weekend

1:26 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Psssst! Where'd you go?

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home