Thursday, June 14, 2007

A bit of money to it

Yet another mini-dilemma, I guess life is full of them. Ex-Boss was called away from our convention last month because his mother suddenly died. Having a parent die is devastating, I can't imagine going through that with my Mom, but will someday. He is a sweet man, of good character and everyone at work loves him--I thought.

Clients kept asking me and others from our firm, "What can we do for him? Does his family have a favorite charity?" And I had to keep telling them, "I'll find out." BZ as the current head of the firm said she would take care of it. She hasn't despite several promptings. Now it's weeks later and he is back to work. I, and other co-workers have expressed our verbal condolences but it's awkward because in the past we have always passed around a card to sign and (for a death in the family) added a bit of money to it.

Late last week I couldn't stand it anymore and went and got a card and sent it around the office on a voluntary basis. People all signed the card; in fact BZ signed it prominently, as if she had gotten the card! I had put $10 in it, and favorite co-worker put another $10, changing my bill for a $20 bill. Yesterday I got the card back and the $20 is the only money in the card and a dozen people have signed it. That's less than $2 apiece! So, do I take out the $20 and refund Favorite Co-worker her $10? Or do I make up the difference myself?

I wish I could just make up the difference myself but I'm so short on money because of the raised mortgage (and car insurance is due again) and really can't and shouldn't. Ex-boss deserves far better and I feel bad for him doubly at the casual treatment from office staff. As I said, the card was a voluntary thing--but even BZ and the other highly-paid staff contributed nothing! We can't really give Ex-Boss a card with $20 in it! What would you do, just take out the money and refund Favorite Co-worker?

11 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

I would take your money out and go and get a bunch of flowers (or charitable donation) for $20 with a card signed by only you and favourite coworker. Under no circumstances would I cover for the appalling lack of compassion from your other coworkers and BZ! Also, I would remember this for any time BZ finds herself in such circumstances.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think ms mac has a good point. Give him the card from everyone without anything in it and then do something nice for him with the money you and favorite co-worker donated and give that to him separately, from just the two of you.

Everyone gets what they put into it.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I agree. Buy some flowers. Or call a meeting and simply ask people IN PERSON to contribute. Sometimes it takes putting people on the spot to get them to dance.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I agree with the others, get him a plant or something with the money and a separate card from just the two of you.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Salha said...

i agree with ms mac and maria. sometimes people just need a little push.

9:57 PM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I would donate it to charity and write a note that 'a donation was made in your mom's name to so-so charity'. He wouldn't have to know how much it was, but it is a nice gesture considering the assholey-ness of the other people in your office.
I know it is tempting to 'fill the pot' yourself, I would feel the same way, but you can't. :)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I agree with Ms Mac. How sad that the rest of the co-workers didn't pitch in.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Angela has a good idea.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

First, you get a job away from all those tacky people....

9:41 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Nothing more to add, PB. I'm shaking my head here in dismay. What has become of compassion?

5:35 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

They signed the card, yet didn't donate any money?? What a bloody cheek! I'm amazed at your other co-workers lack of compassion.

Lots of good thoughts on how to handle it though.
Give him the card that everyone signed empty. Then go and buy him a plant for his office with a small card from you and fav co-worker.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home