Friday, June 08, 2007

Gardening day!

I took the day off from work for Gardening Day. So far I've spent it in front of the computer reading blogs. But I do need to wait for the grass and garden dirt to dry off before I can work outside easily.

I'm SO glad to not have to go to work today. Yesterday the former temp was supposed to show up at her regular time 8:00 (my required start time is 7:30) after two days of being out sick but she had a dental appointment. So she missed the cleaning meeting. Well, actually she came at the end of it and didn't join us. She also just sat at her desk while BZ had me cleaning out the hallway shelves. It was a lot of work and took me most of the morning. I had a lot of other things to do.

But during the cleaning meeting BZ actually assigned two other staff members chores to clean out the storage room. You should have seen the pouting and frowning! But they are favored workers and will get out of it, somehow. Still, it warmed my heart that other staff members were even temporarily classified with us, the cleaning crew!

The former temp left piles of work lying around again yesterday. I even tactfully mentioned, that Gee, it looked like ____ might take a long time to do, but she remained sitting at her desk, playing with MySpace. Later in the day she was of course, frantic to get all of her work done. I might have normally volunteered to help but didn't. I finished up piles of my own work, having spent the morning sorting binders into recycling and garbage. Then she had to leave work early and some of her work still was sitting there. This time I didn't care. I won't be in today so won't get assigned to do any of her work.

The hard thing is that I like the former temp. She has a winning personality, but still many of the negative characteristics of some younger workers (a few older ones too, to be fair about it) in that she will leave work sitting around to try to get done at the last possible moment. She didn't even mention all of her work that I had to do while she was out, just took it for granted. I think I'm kind of a "momma" figure for her because I'm so much older. Now that she receives sick pay, she's been gone an awfully lot and the burden of her work falls on me. This is very shortsighted of her, because we only hired her until August. And that's only a couple more months. But everyone likes her so maybe she is hoping to get by on the power of personality. And that could very well happen. But I can never predict what BZ will do. We are on a new austerity program and BZ might want to cut the extra staff cost. That would be bad for me, actually, as then I will be doing both jobs again.

Anyway, last night I had a house showing and SLA had called again to go out to eat. So as I had a plate of food served to me by the waitress, I thought of the people at the mission, sitting crowded at the tables waiting for their plastic trays of food. And then going back outside into the weather. It was cold, rainy and windy last night.

I haven't heard a thing about the house showing. How could they not like my darling house? All of my friends and neighbors who have seen it think it the coolest house ever, especially for the price. I looked in the paper and while there were scores of houses for sale, most cost twice as much as mine. Why has there not been even an offer on it yet?

I brought SLA the remainder of the roses and lilacs. Very early this spring, before I had decided to sell my house, I had ordered a bunch of lilac trees and rose bushes. They only came in groups of 25, so I bought 25 of each. I planted a few in my yard but gave some away to former temp, former boss, and another co-worker. There were around a dozen rose bushes left and maybe 6 or 7 lilac trees, so I brought them to SLA. She and Houseguest will split them. SLA's landlord will allow her to plant two rose bushes, but no lilac trees, but Houseguest's boyfriend has a house that he just bought last year (about the same time I bought my house) and a yard. So they have room to plant trees and bushes. They may also take the chain-link fence I bought last year and never put up. SLA gave me a bag of wonderful clothes that I had fun trying on when I got back home.

Well, Happy Friday to you and have a great weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you have a wonderful day gardening and a good weekend! Maybe the weather will be nice tomorrow too.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I hope you get an offer on the house soon. Gardening sounds really good to me right now. I'm sitting at work wishing I could be doing something else.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

YAY for you taking the day off! I hope you enjoyed your day...it sounds like a wonderful plan! :)

3:01 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Goodluck on the house offer..Maybe when u least expect it something will happen.

Have a great weekend.

5:17 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I didn't know it was gardening day! I should've played hooky at work today...god what an awful day...
Best of weekends to you as well!

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home