Saturday, June 09, 2007

Garden mania

I am so proud of my vegetable garden! Last year when I bought the house, all three of the raised bed gardens were overgrown with weeds and grass, some head high. Now all three have been tamed: dug, raked, hoed and planted. I have an iris blooming this morning in the front flower and herb garden. The iris joins the snapdragons, impatiens and other flowers blooming in that garden. But the vegetable garden is my special pride, because it was the largest, hardest and worst garden to cultivate and get under control.

Even if the vegetables don't do well, I will still be pleased that it's actually a garden and not an eyesore. And the vegetable plants may NOT do well there. This house has no outside water spigot nor hose to water the three gardens. All of them, including the fairly large vegetable garden, must be watered with a watering can! So it will be impossible, really to get enough water on them, especially the vegetables. When I lived in the country I used to water the gardens twice a day. Using a hose, I would soak the ground with water early in the morning and at dusk in the night. That won't be possible using a water can no matter how many trips I make in and out of the house.

It was in my plans to have an outside water tap and hose put in. But it's costly because it would take both plumbing and construction. Since I'm selling the house I decided not to spend all of that extra money even though I'd dearly like to do it! Instead I will hope for lots of gentle rain this summer--but during the evenings so as not to spoil the happy plans of people going on vacations, picnics or outtings.

Yesterday I planted as seeds: two types of radishes, two types of lettuce, spinach, two types of beans, peas, corn, carrots, gourds, watermelon.

As transplanted plants, I planted: tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, cauliflower, broccoli, and four little herb plants in the front herb/flower garden to add to the herbs I already put in there.

It was a good day yesterday! And now I have to get out there with the water can. I wonder how many trips it will take to water the three gardens? I think I'll carry a full bucket of water at the same time, too, to speed things along. Have a great weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

For some reason working in the garden is relaxing even though it is hard work. Maybe it's because when you wake up one day you see something you planted smiling back at you.
haqve a nice weekend

11:28 AM  
Blogger Denny Shane said...

I know I must have missed a few ostings here but wasn't it just last moved in to the house?

Why are you movedand where?

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, I may need your advice on gardening if my place goes thru ok! Have a great weekend x

3:05 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I love gardening too. And here in Nebraska, I'm a little astonished at how fast it all is growing. My tomato plants are already producing. The lettuce, beans, carrots, potatoes and okra are also acting more like it is July than June.

My herbs have been taking a beating by all the wind, though.

And watering. I'm very stingy with water and they seem to thrive. I water once a day thoroughly three days a week, less if we get a good soaking rain.

But, don't you find it good for the soul to have a garden?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gardening is hard!

Except for 2 house plants that have survived me, all of my plants end up dying. :(

I can do bulbs ok, but everything else seems to die on me after some time. I think it's because I'm absent-minded. :)

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home