Saturday, March 24, 2007

Best friends

It seems like a month since I've blogged, but it's only been a week. What a looonnnggg week it has been! On Thursday I worked from 7:15 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and this with no lunch break. That's a lot of hours. I've been looking for a home church for the past several weeks. The past two weeks I've gone to a church in my Mom's neighborhood. The first time I went there, people were very friendly and I really enjoyed singing hymns and listening to the sermon, I'd missed those things more than I'd realized. The woman I'd sat next to invited me for coffee, so I went to the large hall and heard someone call out my name!

It was my best friend from high school, sitting at a table and inviting me to join them. I hadn't really spoken to her since high school, and don't need to mention exactly how long that has been! She looked the same, however, just older and gray-haired. I must have looked enough the same for her to recognize from across the room, too. I had always thought of her as my very best friend in high school. We were opposites, she was very outgoing, winning theater and speech contests while I barely opened my mouth in school. But I was very gratified when she introduced me to the rest of the table as her best friend from high school! She had had plenty of friends in high school, I had had only a few.

Then I attended a supper at the church at which a missionary spoke. It was very interesting and I had a good time. But for tomorrow I have found another church that I want to visit. So I will go to the early service and if it gets done soon enough, go to my friend's church. Next Saturday is the History Day judging, which will take the entire day. Sunday will be spent with my Mom. Saturday will also be my Dad's birthday. He's been gone for over six years now.

Speaking of gone, my son has been out of town all this week. He had an interview in his girlfriend's city on Monday. Friday I received a call from the company for him to come to another interview, so I called him and told him. I haven't heard since then and am wondering about his job here. Did he quit it? Or just take time off? Is he coming back anytime soon? Hard to tell but I guess I will find out eventually. It's been peaceful living alone, although I did get out of the habit of blogging or even turning on the computer or TV. Hope all has been going well in your world!

7 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed your church visit. Keep shopping til you find the one that's right for you.

10:25 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Glad to see you have made it back into the real world. Was worried something had happened or you'd worked yourself to death. It must have been nice to find your friend after this time...you'll have your new best friend again. I've got a blogger friend here in this town and we do stuff together. She's a very serious blogger about politics and never uses humor. I guess she likes what I do since it's different from hers. She said she just isn't funny and wishes she could be like me. I on the other hand would like to do more lie her and leave the funny behind me...but you have to be what you are. I don't have anybody else and neither does she...so we are stuck with each other. She's from San Diego and I'm from Los Angeles...and this town is big on people wearing white sheets if you know what I mean. So we do what we can to balance that out. I hope work has been decent to you and paying you overtime too.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Glad to see you're back; you're usually such a faithful blogger that I was starting to get worried about you. Hop;e things work out for your son.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I wondered too...thought maybe you'd worked yourself silly and needed to recuperate.

Ah, church shopping. I think I have been to every church in the city and wasn't crazy about any of them. Either I liked the church but didn't agree with the doctrine or vice versa. The closest I ever came to joining was to a Quaker one, but they had no church and had their service at each other's houses. The thought of a bunch of people coming to my house semi-regularly made me break out into a cold sweat.

It is kind of nice to just sit and not watch TV or blog sometimes, yes?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I'm so glad to see you are back. I really missed you last week.

My husband and I saw his best friend from high school this weekend also...it's such a small world!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

That's lovely that she remembered how good a friend you were in High School. I still see my best friend from High School every time I go back to Scotland. Our kids get on so well, it's quite lovely bit a little bit bizarre!

1:04 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Glad to see you are back. How exciting for your son! I hope you find the church you are looking for!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home