Thursday, February 08, 2007

New Year Resolutions

I was thinking about my last post, made before I went to bed last night. Geez what a crabby, complaining old lady I am! The getting older I cannot help, but the whining could be curbed. While it's true that my journals (both blog and notebook) tend to show my dark side, that dark side is really in need of some improvement! Is it too late to do New Year's Resolutions?

I've always liked to think of myself as not the typical Virgo: who's always looking for the flaw, the fault and what's missing from every life experience and person she/he meets during the day. But that's sort of how I revert back to when alone with my thoughts. Oh sure, I do (and mean!) the grateful exercise where you think about all the things that you are grateful for before going to sleep. And I have a lot of things to be grateful for, for sure, I know that. But I, like a so-typical Virgo, tend to get tripped up on the little things, and with what's missing instead of what's right during the day when I'm actually living the experiences and not just thinking about them later in bed!

Oh sure, I have a helpful, cheerful, optimistic exterior in most social situations, even if I'm quite quiet. But what I'm looking for is some more depth and especially, some warmth. I tend to step back and do a lot of observing in my daily life, I'd like more engagement. And I have an excellent role model to help me with that, bet you'll never guess who it is. Or maybe you will.

She's young, of course, as I'm surrounded by younger people both at work and at home. She's poor but very generous, very open (too open, my little complaining Virgo mind would say) and engages with everything and everyone in her path. I can really see her virtues shining clearly through. It's our temp, of course. Did you guess? Tonight we all are going out after work. This was her idea for a weekly outting and it was a good one. So, if it's not too late, here are my New Year's resolutions:

1. Enjoy life and people, quit worrying and fussing (internally and in my journals) about everything and everybody.

2. Learn Spanish well enough to read and speak it.

3. Exercise and get into better shape. Find a good sport that I like and start doing it regularly again.

4. Do art and writing regularly.

Have you made New Year's resolutions this year? Have you kept them?

8 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Yes, I made some resolutions and I'm getting better at keeping them. This was day 3 of working out so I'm feeling good about myself right now. I just wish I could walk normally...my legs are hurting so bad!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I usually make 5 resolutions about 5 different aspects of my life: financial, physical, spiritual, social, and at least one charitible resolution.

This year I didn't make any official resolutions.

9:46 AM  
Blogger deni said...

Nope, no resolutions because I don't keep them anyway.

If I am going to change something about myself or my life, I have learned that for me at least it's an ongoing process, and resolutions only make me NOT want to do things.

I'm contrary like that.

1:03 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I made some, and so far they are coming along. It's still early though!!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I don't make resolutions and I don't do the think-of-ten-things-to-be-grateful-for-before-sleep thing.

And I'm a Gemini. You'd think I would be good at that kind of stuff, just not have any follow-through. I live with a Virgo, though....:)

I did try the ten things exercise, but I would lay there and feel guilty that I couldn't think of ten things and think what an ungrateful slob I am....

But, I do admire people who make resolutions and keep them. I'm just so not one of them....

8:58 PM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

I am also a Virgo. I am not much into astrology and I don't know what I am supposed to be like, but I don't do resolutions of any kind. I have enough grief without being angry at myself for not keeping resolutions.

9:27 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I never make them...that way I don't break the darn things.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

My resolution was not to have one! I have since relented, and decided mine would be.....Not to throw so much food away, to eat it before it goes bad. I'm not doing too bad so far :o)

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home