Thursday, January 11, 2007

When boys grow up

Well, after our talk, my son went up to the the school yesterday. I hope things are fixed for him now, we haven't talked about it again. I'd wanted to yell at him in frustration, but that would have only made him feel bad, and he already was feeling bad about it. So instead I gave my pep talk about having a warrior spirit. He's very cautious about everything, so unlike me. It's not a bad thing to be cautious except when it stops you from doing what you need or want to do! So I guess he will be going back to school on the 17th. Yay for him!

But then, Amanda and Anton's son, who is the same age, got shipped to Iraq this past Tuesday. They had a going away party for him on Monday night. He's been sent to that area twice before but never actually inside Irag. I've known this fine young man since he was two years old and he and my son sort of grew up together. He was home late in the summer to receive firefighter's training, which he was all excited about, but it was only so they could send him to Iraq. He's not been in an actual war zone before. He'd better come back OK in mind and body or I'm going to be really pissed off. I couldn't watch the entire (but short) presidential address last night. I kept thinking of A & A's son and all of the soldiers over there fighting a war that can't be won, and felt sick. How did this all happen?

Well, the Boss will be back at work today and the day is full of meetings. So it's going to be busy. Have a good one!

7 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I'm glad your son got his school issues resolved.

But I am sorry that your friend's son is being sent to Iraq.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love to the friend of the family going to Iraq. A friend's ex-husband (3 weeks ago!) got called and whisked away quicker than his orders were supposed to come. He has never been to Iraq, only Afghanistan for 2 weeks.

It's amazing how this mobilisation is really evident. I know so many people whose loved ones are moving right this second. : (

8:46 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

May he come home safe and sound. I'm just waiting to hear when it's going to be my turn.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I hope your friend's son returns home safely. I can't even imagine sending one of my daughters to a war zone. I like to think I'm patriotic and supportive of our country but if the truth be told I just couldn't send my child over there and be supportive of the war at all.

I'm glad your son is getting things worked out. Sometimes a little encouragement is all our children need...well that and a big kick in the rear sometimes too!

Hope you had a good day.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My late father always said to me "Think twice and act once".

So sorry about your friends son. I see the objectives and when I was still doing Helicopter Reporting with NBC I was able to talk at length with two guys---one my age just back from Iraq. They said that we'd really have to be over there to see the full picture and that our media has them fed up. Still, I wish we'd use the Air Force with a plan to bring about the noble goals and then come home. So, I share your frustration too but struggle to see the other side..which IS hard, yes. lol!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

How did this all happen? I wonder the same thing, PB. So many deaths. Such a waste of money. And to prove what? WHAT??

I pray your friends' boy comes home safe. I can't imagine sending my son off to fight that way.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Damn Bush, i wish he'd ship himself off to Iraq and serve on the frontline :(

Lets pray the young man comes back safe & sound :o)

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home