Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Maybe I'm the employee of my dreams

Today will be my first day back to work since the morning of December 22nd. If you've been following this, you might be saying, but shouldn't that have been yesterday? Um-hum, Tuesday was to be my first day back and now it's Wednesday. I didn't go to work yesterday. I called in sick. Can you believe it? Well, I hope THEY do, as I was miserably ill all day. The first day off that I didn't enjoy at all. In fact the time went by so slowly that I pretty much got to "enjoy" every minute of it!

Geez, I was mad and upset about it. Hope I didn't come off looking like a mega-slacker who just couldn't get up on time to get to work after being off so long! You know, the employee I dreamt about a few nights ago.

It all started when I took my Mom out to lunch on New Year's Day. I had a "shipwreck skillet" a breakfast with sausage, eggs, cheese, mushrooms, etc. in it. It was delicious (although I'm having trouble writing this, it makes me feel ill again!) but I was feeling uncomfortably full after eating only half of it. Good thing I didn't eat the rest. After that, we went shopping in a dollar store and each bought some things, nothing too exciting. I bought toilet bowl cleaner and plant fertilizer. But my stomach was feeling weird the whole time. I brought Mom back home, walked my little dog and did normal things including eating a light dinner and later went to bed.

At 2:00 AM I woke up definitely feeling sick and by 3 or 4 was dashing to the bathroom every few minutes. This continued until my alarm went off at 5, still at 6 and 7. For some weird reason I kept thinking I could just "throw it off" and still get to work. Even though I normally arrive at work by 7:10 or 20, by 8:00 I figured I'd better call in as I was still being violently ill. After 8:00 is when the boss and most other co-workers show up at work. I called favorite worker to ask her to still be in charge of the temp for Tuesday--and had to hang up abruptly and "use the bucket" which luckily I'd brought into my bedroom. I tried to call the Boss but had to hang up the first time for the same reason. When I finally got her phone message, I doubt the message I left made much sense, I had to babble it off in such a hurry.

Well, sorry to be so gross but I was really really sick. And I'd had a flu shot too, grrrr. I wonder if the food caused it or if the flu was just coming on anyway. Hard to say, but I'm up today and getting ready for work. It feels like a normal day except I feel so empty, having not eaten anything all day yesterday. I couldn't even drink water until the afternoon even though I was really thirsty. Finally, by dinnertime I had a can of cola. I normally don't drink soda but wanted the caffeine and couldn't drink coffee. Wish I looked as skinny as I feel right now, ha ha! Well, hope you have a good day and the flu bug doesn't bite you.


Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Glad you are feeling better today. Have fun at work. If that's possible..

6:37 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

No coffee??? I HATE it when I'm too sick to drink coffee!!!! :)

And, when the time came for me to get my flu shot, I was already sick, so I took it as a sign not to get it this year!

Sure hope you're feeling better today! :)

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it's over! The flu shot is usually designed to be the "best guess" at 2 types of influenza and they're the chest-types. Unfortunately, I don't think they can innoculate against stomach flu--I could be wrong but it's what my dr told me a few years ago. I always get one since my lungs were damaged in a fire a few years ago.

8:10 AM  
Blogger BikerCandy said...

Sounds like you had a small case of food poisoning. I'm sorry you felt bad but I know your co-workers knew you must be sick, you are definitely not a slacker!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Shipwreck sounds like a good name for such a dish.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Aims said...

Glad you're feeling better today. Sorry to hear you've been so sick. I had the flu jab too, I have a stinking cold & chesty cough right now. I just feel like curling up & sleeping right now!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

ooo what a horrible thing to happen on the first day back. I hope that you are feeling a lot better now and that BZ was more understanding than normal

4:05 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Wow..sorry got you became so sick..Im glad your feeling better. Maybe it was food poisoning..ugh.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

i feel fat with all those junk foods that i swallowed for past days... i could not fit into my working trouser :(... back to the gym!

Anyway, good that you are feeling good!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I have had to move my blog. My new addy is

2:06 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

To have felt ill that quickly after eating is usually considered food poisoning. You would have had a mild case relatively...even though you didn't feel that way. You have my sympathy!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds like a 24hr thingy...i hope so anyway :o)

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home