Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Stupid Insurance is a 0

Insurance, what a big ripoff. Yet we have to have it. Just in case. Today I finished an on-going battle with my insurance company. They have lumped both of our cars and the house all together and then divided that sum into quarters as a payment amount. The two cars being put together is inconvenient for me. I ended up paying for both and am waiting for son to kick in his (much higher than mine) share of the tab. I might have a long wait. Tonight he was stressing about school and how he doesn't have enough money for it. Why? Because his student loans are messed up. I've been telling him for weeks now while they are between semesters to go and get it fixed instead of just worrying about it. He thinks that he may not be able to register for the next semester, but doesn't know for sure.

He and I are of opposite temperaments about stuff like that. I will go after a problem and shake it until it comes loose. If that doesn't work, I keep going back to rattle its cage until some sort of resolution takes place. Like the insurance problem today. My insurance company insisted that I pay the homeowners insurance along with my auto insurance even though it's escrowed through my mortgage payment. They claimed they know nothing about it, have never received any payments from the mortgage company, blah and blah. I've called them, supplied all sorts of information and went to the insurance office after work on Friday. No resolution. They just told me to "pay up" ALL three of the insurance amounts (actually, all put together as one lump sum.)
I ended up having to call my mortgage company while I was at work, not what I'd prefer to do but they left me no choice. I worked while on the phone about 45 minutes, navigating through a horrible automated system. I finally got an actual representative who called my insurance company while I was still on the line. Wow, that was worth the wait to hear them squirm and have to fix the problem! Yay, victory at last! My son needs to go at his problems like that instead of feeling bad and just worrying about them.

So, it was Stupid Insurance = 0 and me = 1. But the dental battle didn't go as well. My health insurance doesn't cover emergency dental so I have to pay for both office visits. Dental = 1, me = 0. Can't win them all, I guess. But I certainly tried my best.

9 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

ugh i sell insurance all day long and even i don't like it...lol but it sure comes in handy if something goes wrong...

hope you son sorts his problems out too...

*hugs*

5:04 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Insurance is one of those necessary evils, but the one that gets me and has NO benefit to me at all is the high PMI insurance I pay on my mortgage.

5:46 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Nice job! I just finished appealing a denied claim with my insurance. It wasn't fun, but it was worth all the red tape.
I tend to deal with problems like your son does, but I'm trying to get better at it.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh don't even get me started on insurances.

I have pretty darn good health insurance (on both me and The PK) and on Monday, I paid the co-pay for an emergency room visit ($100.00). The PK told me they had someone from the hospital and want to charge us an addition $800.00. I'm thinking "For what? I have insurance!!!!"

So I told him "Next time they come in, tell them to bill us...and I want an itemized statement of EVERY SINGLE THING we're getting billed for!"

Insurance. ARGH!!! I feel for you!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Ugh! I swear it must be something in the air. We are fighting AllState right now and we don't even use them! However, we are just like you...we won't rest until it is resolved to our satisfaction.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Gahhhhh! I hate insurance!!!

Absolutely the biggest con of all time but we all need to have it!

Happy New Year PBS!

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done you for sorting the insurance issue. Bad luck on the dental, but like you said, you can't win them all. Although that would be nice!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

As Deni said..."a necessary evil".
I have health insurance, car insurance and house & contents insurance with 3 different companies!! I pay by the month for all of them = a direct debit from my account.

I hope your son can organise himself, it would be a real shame if he can't go back next semester :(

5:42 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

uou = 10 in my book

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home