Saturday, December 23, 2006

The First Day of Christmas

Yesterday was quite a day, jam-packed with happenings. It all started early in the morning, because I stayed up late to read and watch DVD's from the library. I still woke and got up at a respectable time, around 6:30 AM, only two hours later than the normal wake-up time, just from sheer habit. I'd showered dressed and was happily blogging on my first day off from work. I was still watching the time, though, as the company Christmas party started at 9:00 AM.

Coffee CAN be bad for your health
That first cup of coffee while blogging tasted so good! I was taking small sips while reading blogs and commenting when I noticed that the mouthful of coffee seemed full of grounds. Well, not grounds but tiny, hard pieces. The next sip was a quick discovery as piercing pain shot through my lower right jaw. I cautiously put my tongue over there to find a huge, painful hole in a molar. The filling had crumbled and come out. This was Friday, December 22, remember, the last day before a long holiday weekend! It was after 8:00 by then and I frantically called my dentist, expecting the worst. Would the office even be open, many were closed already last Thursday. What would be my Plan B and Plan C? But after a couple of calls someone answered the phone at 8:30. She said I could come in at 9:00 but to a different dentist. I didn't care, I was surprised and grateful that they could get me in at all.

Dental Drama
But I was supposed to bring the coffee carafe to the company Christmas party and arrive earlier than 9:00. The dentist's office kept me on the phone for quite a while as they were looking up my records. After they finally were done with me I called the boss and asked if I could run the carafe over early (but by that time, it really wasn't that early anymore). So I did that, and also brought the Secret Santa gift, just in case I wasn't done at the dentist in time for the party. Then it was over the slippery interstate bridge going well over the speed limit. It was drizzling rain and the temperature was hovering around freezing. I arrived at the dentist's office four minutes late and apologized profusely but they seemed to be OK with it. An unfamiliar dentist said he could just patch the hole with cement, for now, and I would need to return next week for my regular dentist to fix it as the tooth had broken also. There was some drilling and no novacain, which I've only done once before. I left a bit freaked out by the pain and bad taste in my mouth (from the cement) but onward to the Christmas party!

Some people never learn
The co-workers joyfully welcomed me to the party. It was great and I would have really enjoyed being the center of attention, but I was still trying to manage the jaw pain and was somewhat dazed from rushing around. Things settled down and it was a really fun party with funny stories and great gift-giving and receiving. I was dying for a cup of coffee, since I'd had only a couple of sips. So I foolishly tried to drink some and felt the cement dissolving in my mouth! The dentist had said "be careful" with the temporary filling, but had not specified exactly how. And I should have asked. Probably he thought I had more common sense than to try drinking coffee right away again when that's what prompted (but not caused, of course) my sudden tooth problem.

I could market this as a new diet!
So I couldn't eat the lovely food at the party, but I did try some of the baked eggs and ham and a large cookie. It took forever to eat the spoonful of eggs and I had to give up on the cookie.

Don't give up on this long, sad tale yet! It does have a happy ending, honest.

Sibling rivalry revisited
Fast forward to Friday night. My younger brother was in town with all of his family. I've not seen them all together for probably close to two years! He and I have had our differences but he's mellowed over the years and I decided (when thinking about it late last night) that my main "beef" is how my Mom lauds and elevates him. In fact she was telling her neighbor/landlord on the phone, "My kids are here! You have to come and finally meet my kids!" Never mind she has two OTHER children, older brother and me. And I've met the neighbor. I used to point out Mom's weird attitude to her when I was still in my 20's but have long since dropped that because she just doesn't get it. And why confuse her or spoil the evening?

A good time was had by all
So the first family Christmas party was fun. They all seemed to really enjoy the gifts I'd given them. I'm rather insecure about giving gifts, never feel it's enough or good enough for the particular individual. We had mashed potatoes and gravy along with the rest of the meal, so I could sort of eat something. The happy noise of brother's four teenaged boys made me nostalgic for when my son used to have his neighbor friends over all of the time. I'd kind of missed the busy, in and out of the house interaction. The house we live in now is very quiet. And so ended the first of three family Christmas parties! Have a great holiday weekend!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor thing, lucky you got the dentist appointment.
Have a merry christmas hun x

12:07 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Sorry about your tooth..Not the greatest time to happen. Atleast u were able to temp fix it.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays ~

3:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You certainly had a BIG day on the 22nd! Thank goodness for the temporary dentist...shame you went ahead later and dissolved his work lol (sorry) I'm surprised he didn't tell you to be careful of hot drinks or whatever actually.

But I'm glad you had a great time at the office party and with your family in the evening. A shakey start to the day but with a great finish.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones PBS!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

To bad about the tooth but it doesn't sound like it slowed you down much.
Two parties and still going woooohoooo.

Its good your enjoying each others company and Christmas with family does bring out many good memories.

Merry Christmas :)

12:29 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

That's a bummer about your tooth, hope it feels better soon.

And I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I dropped by to wish you a Merry Christmas and to thank you for being a blogging buddy.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jinkies! Toofers are not to be mucked about with, especially on long weekends. Sorry : (

It sounds like the office thing went really nicely (other than said toofer). I think some parents hide preferential treatment better than others. One of my friends is the 2nd of 9 and she says how happy she is that she's the favourite grandkid. I think it helps if the "prodigal son" admits it. It's not something they can help but hearing them say, "it's not fair" seems to make it feel better to the others.

Hope the rest is even better!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

dentistry is not supposed to happen between December 1 and January 15.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home