Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Second Day of Christmas: Piles of Presents

It's Christmas Eve and probably Santa right now is loading up his sleigh, the reindeer are restlessly pawing the snow, ready to get going. And I've had a wonderful two days this weekend.
The first, Saturday, was the day of the second family Christmas party and gift exchange. My older brother came to my Mom's apartment in the afternoon and I met them all there. Son was working during both family parties, so he's missed them. My brother had his photo album of Holland with him and we got to see pictures of flowers and markets and castles and such. He and his entire family had gone there in October to attend the wedding of one of his foreign exchange students.

He and his wife have had many different foreign students stay with them over the years. Now his hospitality is starting to pay dividends! A couple of years ago the student from Portugal got married and my brother and family went there for a couple of weeks. Then the student from France got married and the family went to France for three weeks, and now Holland! They've had plenty of other students, including a boy from Thailand right now. I got him a large Green Bay Packer banner for Christmas along with a couple of smaller things. I've never had the extra room for foreign students to stay, but I bet it would be very interesting and educational for both sides!

I'm having a peaceful Christmas Eve, listening to Blondie, Evanesence and others. Today I went to the Mall to shop for myself, since all other presents were already bought. I almost never do that but it was fun and I didn't go too wild. It would be bad timing to spend too much on myself as gift buying has taken its toll. I've wrapped and given over 40 presents so far and there are still a few small piles of gifts to wrap. Those are for friends that I'll be seeing after Christmas. SLA called me this evening and we spent a lot of time on the phone catching up and planning our "girl's holiday get-together" some of the unwrapped gifts are for that.

Tomorrow on Christmas Day, son and I will go to my Mom's to open and give gifts. Then maybe we'll go out to eat, since the Thanksgiving meal out worked so well! Son's girlfriend is sick with the flu, poor thing, so she won't be with us. After it gets dark we'll drive around to look at the Christmas lights. My Mom really likes to do that and it's fun for us, too. Happy Christmas Eve!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

This is Tuesday and we've finally caught up on our sleep---Dave is still in his jammies reading in the living room, and I'm catching up on my blog reading. We had a great Christmas with small pockets for crying...but mostly we had fun. I'll write about the 14 of us in our apartment for Christmas Eve dinner later this week.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a lovely Christmas x

4:44 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Merry Christmas. I hope you had a brill day.
Happy New Year too

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home