Friday, January 12, 2007

Gimme back my temp!

Ever since I was gone from work that long stretch between Christmas and New Years, my temp has become "slow" at doing what I ask of her. All this week I've been asking her to organize the supply cabinet and sort out the things in the storage room. She's barely started on the supply cabinet and now it needs to be done by the staff meeting, early Tuesday morning--Boss's orders. And we all have Monday off from work for my son's birthday. (No, I just have said that to him. Actually it's for MLK Day. My son has his birthday the same day as Martin Luther King, Jr.) So TODAY is the last day for it to get organized and labeled. And I have timesheets and travel requests (from everyone) due in for approval today, plus another large project for the training manager.

This is the third temp that's found greener pastures and not wanted to come back to work for me once they got a taste of doing work for other people in our office! In fact I ended up firing the second temp for laziness, sneakiness and dishonesty. This one is a honest, hard working, has a pleasant personality, and is a quick learner. So she's an unusually good temp. She was under the direction of favorite co-worker while I was gone. FCW has interesting stuff to do, fun things, and so "my" temp has strangely enough (not!) been finding things from FCW to do instead of getting back to my stuff.

I don't really blame her. My work is not fun, often tedious and boring. But she was hired to help ME with my work and with the organization of the office. She was only on loan to FCW. In fact, the fun stuff she was doing would have come to me to do, if I wasn't so knee-deep in all of the accounting and travel stuff (and now training stuff) I have to do. The Boss sees the messy supply cabinets and then comes down on me because I'm not "managing the temp properly" which is true, I guess. I get so tired of all the constant battles at work! Any work that is given the temp is supposed to come through me--she was hired solely to help me with my work.

Well, wish me luck in my battle to regain my temp and get the supply cabinet organized! At least it's Friday and a long weekend coming up. Have a good Friday and a great weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Girl, do not get me started on IT guys...really!

Hope things get better for you soon!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

That's a bummer..Sorry to hear your having hard time with your Temp. Maybe this week, this will change for the better. Goodluck!

Have a great weekend.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Call it temporary insanity, eh?

10:39 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you...I've been there...I feel your pain.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Oh I am sorry that you had such a bad day. I hope that you managed to get everything sorted. Yippeed for long weekends.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Bugger! Have a similar situation myself, except my witch of a boss hired this guy ( coz she fancied him), to assist me.....he is as unreliable as the 5 o'clock bus. I am on the vege of firing him....my pet hate is unreliability.
Have a super weekend :o)

8:59 PM  
Blogger Nigel G Mitchell said...

Dear Ma'am,

Give me back my temp!

Signed,
Mel Gibson

3:13 PM  
Blogger Nigel G Mitchell said...

As a former temp, I have to say that your characterization of temps as being unmotivated, lazy, and uninterested in their temporary employers is absolutely correct.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home