Wednesday, May 17, 2006

police stuff, but no class

It was hot yesterday, to my northern blood. We went from two blanket weather to sleeping-with-only-a-sheet! It feels like summer. Of course that can just as quickly, change back again. It still rained some yesterday too, but the sun was out after weeks of overcast skies. So much for the weather report.

Tonight will be sort of a sad night, no CPA class. This is the first Wednesday I won't have one. Those nine weeks were so totally worth it that many of my friends want to do it next year. Wish they would have gone with me THIS year, but oh well. Some people are just very cautious while I'm one to jump into to things to see what they're like. Four hours of class per week sounds like a lot, too, but it went all too fast and was fun and interesting. I still haven't written about it all, especially the cool urban assault vehicle.

Our CPA graduation photo was finally in the newspaper yesterday too! The police department had submitted it last Wednesday but we were pre-empted for some real news. Plus, the police department and the city had an awards ceremony the following day that rightfully took more news attention. The city gave some officers awards for bravery, pulling a woman and her baby out of their burning house, heroic stuff like that.

I see some of the police officers from our class in the paper once in awhile, plus the captain was on the news on TV last night. I've seen "my" cop twice more when driving by on my way to work. It's really cool to, when I see a squad car, try to see if I know the officer, instead of just slowing down. Of course I still slow down, too!

I listen to the police radio and hear some sad things. There was an 18-year-old young man who tried to hang himself last night. He was still breathing when they arrived to help. This weekend I heard another suicide call and saw the obituary in the newspaper yesterday. The man was 46 years old and had a wife and kids, so sad. But then there are exciting things like pursuits and break-ins, kind of boring things like police calls for loud music or some kid took a bike from another kid.

We had a convenience store robbery a few blocks away and they haven't caught the two men who did it. I didn't hear that one on the police radio, though because it was during the day and I was at work. I can picture the action on the police radio a lot better than before I went on the ride-along or attended the CPA class. And sometimes I know the officers involved. Friend and I are applying for the Police Ox, but there are only two more spots left. They have a limit as to how many volunteers they can train.

Happy Middle of the Week Day to you!

12 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

It's cooling down in my part of the world PBS. Last night was the first night i put blankets on the bed after sleeping with just a sheet or no sheet at all, for the last 7 months!! The mornings and evenings make me want to stay in bed, it's difficult to get moving.
Hope you and said friend get into that class, here's crossing fingers for you :o)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

We FINALLY got some rain yesterday! I actually went outside after I got home and walked around in my front yard in the rain. the PK stuck his head out the door and said "What the Hell are you doing??? It's raining!"

I just stood there smiling and said "I knoW! Isn't it great???"

Hopefully, it'll keep the fire danger lower than it has been. We've been burning up down here!

Sorry to hear your classes are over...maybe something else will be coming up soon?

7:06 AM  
Blogger sands of time said...

Those classes sound like something i would of enjoyed doing.
Its really warm here right now.Mind you i always complain about the weather here.Its either too hot or too cold.

http://pinklady.typepad.com/

11:18 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I am so glad you found something so interesting to excite you, I hope you get in!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Maybe you can improve your chances of getting in if you catch the thieves.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

we are getting a lot of rain too, spooky...

i hope you get one of the last places on the Police Ox...i'll keep everything crossed for you...

:0)

2:29 AM  
Blogger dan said...

uuuuu....i wish i'd not read all that stuff about suicide.

tried emailing you back a while back...u get it?

i get bounced sometimes.

3:13 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

OOops my comment got lost.

we have been having lost of thunder -rain showers. One min it is bright and sunny and HOT ...next Whooosh bang and I am sopping wet!!!

I can not believe that you have been going on this course for 9 weeks..... I hope that you get a place on the police Ox.

I tried to e-mail you too the other day and it did not work

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're having horrible weather at the moment one minute the sun's out the next it's raining really heavy & blowing a gale - the kind of weather where you just don't know what to wear for the best. I love hearing about your classes. I can't wait to read more of the stories, just a shame the classes didn't last longer for you.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Restless Angel said...

It was practically 80 here today! And from what I've heard, it's going to be 60s with the potential for a small amount of rain at some point....

10:08 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

are you going to post the picture? Hope you make it into the Auxiliary...

11:15 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

You keep yourself busy and that is a good thing. It doesn't leave much time for worrying about other things.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home