Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Almost perfect

Whew, I tried everything yesterday to find a different apartment for us. A ground-floor place that doesn't have stairs. "As God is my witness!" like Scarlett said in GWTW (although I'm certainly no Scarlett...) I tried my best. Had lots of accounting work to do yesterday but took the afternoon off in a last-ditch effort to find a more suitable place for my Mom. I had called a three-page list covering both cities and set up a few appointments in both cities, figuring that even though my Mom wanted to live in the one, particular city, if I could find a place without so many stairs, even in the other city, that it would be better. Whew, again. That was a long sentence!

I visited many apartments in a whirlwind tour of desperation. Man, some apartments are small. In fact MOST apartments are small! Some of them, I swear, would fit into my tiny two-room house. Some of those bedrooms were about the size of my car. I don't know how one could even get a bed or dresser into the room. There might be three bedrooms, but they are like closets! I think the landlord took a normal-sized one-bedroom and chopped it up into three bedrooms to receive a higher (ungodly) rent! If it wasn't so cold out, maybe we could just live in the jeep.

After a few hours of this, near tears and ready to hurt someone, I thought I'd better stop. I also had to get home to meet with the septic inspector who had called me at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning to make the appointment. I was awake at the time, but still in bed and thought it was my mother calling with bad news about her brother, my uncle who just lost his wife.

The inspector was a jerk on the phone but OK in person. By that time my son had joked around and calmed me down. He knows enough not to say, "But how is Grandma going to get up and down those stairs?" but the rest of the family won't be so tactful. I feel horrible about it, but really truly did my best. Apartments are just not that easy to find with all of our specifications. Maybe we will just have to move and then keep looking. The apartment is perfect (and huge, compared to the others I've seen!) except for the stairs.

But it's a big except...and I think we're going to have to take it for now. We're out of time and I've called, looked and gone anywhere and everywhere that was even a remote possibility. Just thinking about it wears me out all over again.

Well, off to work. Hope your day is a good one!

9 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going as well as they could be....and I know it's tough when you have to take a parent into consideration (my mom lives with The PK and I).

Hope you find that perfect place soon! You sure don't need the added stress of worrying about it!!!

7:06 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I hope things work out for you soon.

*hugs*

7:32 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This has been quite an ordeal for you. All the best.

9:19 AM  
Blogger dan said...

i don't think it's that apartments are small, it's just that as we get older we accumulate more junk ;-)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

How frustrating! I hate looking for apartments I hope that you are able to find something soon.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i hope you find the perfect place soon, i suppose its all on your shoulders to find somewhere suitable *hugs*

10:42 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

How frustrating for you! I'm sending many good thoughts your way!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh mate. That sounds so tough. I hope you find the perfect place soon.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Pooh! Try not to stress, i think what you said about moving anyhow and then looking for an alternative is a great idea. Even though your mum will have to put up with a wee bit of inconvienance for a bit, it will be worth it in the long term, especially without the worries and stress.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home