Monday, November 14, 2005

Driving in Slush

Wow it feels early! It IS early; got up two hours earlier than I’ve been for the past couple of days. Speaking of early, there were Christmas decorations out yesterday and it’s not even Thanksgiving yet. Guess those people are thinking ahead. It was a slushy drive on the way out to my Mom’s yesterday. And the wind was so strong that I swear I could have developed my biceps holding on to the steering wheel! There is snow on the ground out there but it didn’t stay here.

On the way out I stopped at the little ex-gas station which now is some sort of hunting license and convenience store with no gasoline for sale. They had a trailer and another pile of hay bales stacked up with a “for sale” sign. The price was the same as last year, $3 per bale. The woman did ask me want I wanted them for because they had gotten wet and wouldn’t be good for animal fodder. When I told her it was to cover my septic tank and line and water line, she smiled and said, “I’ll help you.” So she went outside (and it was cold, windy and snowy, remember!) with no jacket on. She didn’t even put on a pair of gloves to pick up the bales. She thought the jeep could hold more than just a mere two bales but soon found out that I was right. The vehicle isn’t as roomy as it looks. I could have put one more bale if I had the back seat down but had the water bottles and other stuff back there.

She had an unusual dog keeping her company in the store, a Flat Coated Retriever. I had thought it was some Lab/Setter mix but was a retired show dog. The store woman liked my little dog Natty in her dog basket in the front seat. But Natty was shivering when the rear hatch was open even though she was all snuggled down with a jacket over and tucked around her. Natty loves going to Grandma’s but doesn’t really enjoy the ride. First she was shivering and then soon panting as the heater in the jeep made it very toasty. When a door is opened, she starts shivering again. Grandma gave her some ice cream while she was out there as a treat, and she got to sit in Grandma’s lap a lot, too. She likes that part of a Grandma visit, just not the ride out and back!

I mentioned the hay bales to my Mom. And she told me that she would be needing some, too, since my older brother hasn’t come to see her since August and he lives 15 miles away. We think he is mad at her for some reason but neither of us can figure out exactly why. So I gave her one of my bales. I would have been more generous and given her both of them but wasn’t sure the place would still be open on my return. I carried the bale out (with coat and gloves on) and spread it on her septic tank. Now she just needs another couple bales to cover where the line runs.

On the way home I was surprised to see the place still open, so I stopped and bought one more bale. The same young woman was working there and she said they’re open later for hunters this time of the year. If there are any left next Sunday I’ll buy two going out for my Mom and two more coming back for me. That should be enough coverage for the both of us.

Off and on all day I tried not to think of V-Man visiting with his ex-girlfriend. It was hard and I didn’t succeed. Had wanted to call him Saturday and Sunday, but didn’t because of it. (Of course if I don’t hear from him by Tuesday, I’ll call him) Late last night before I went to bed he sent me a short acknowledgement to a joke I’d sent him earlier night. We do a lot of joke-swapping, usually with no comment tacked on it. So I haven’t seen or talked with him since Friday. I really don’t want to be one of those people waiting by the phone, but it’s hard. I wouldn’t do or feel that way that for a friend. The relationship had changed for me before I had decided to add the plus (friends plus), sigh. My emotions are driving in slush, too, and it’s taking some strong arms to keep them even relatively straight and in the proper lane.

From my E-mail
A link to a quizzy thing: What Motivates You to Succeed?
The Motivation Test

What I scored (no big surprise)
Your Strongest Source of Motivation
Intellectualism: Your desire to learn more
Explanation: Your strongest motivator is what you should consider first when looking at any job or career path.
Example: if Family is your key motivator, you should consider a job that allows you scheduling flexibility. But if you are motivated by Creativity, a desk job will only make you unhappy. When pondering a career path, your motivators will lead you to a happy and healthy life, while succumbing to outside "obligations" can often lead to unhappiness.

Your Weakest Source of Motivation
Recognition: Your desire to be recognized by strangers
Explanation: It is important to realize your weakest motivator, as jobs that focus on this factor will likely be ill-suited to your personality.
Example: If your weakest motivator is Philanthropy, you will probably not enjoy working at a nonprofit organization, since you will gain little from their primary motivator and will have little in common with other employees

And a joke:
There’s a Catch
A man was stopped by a game warden in Northern Minnesota recently with two buckets of fish leaving a lake well known for its fishing. The game warden asked the man, "Do you have a license to catch those fish?"

The man replied to the game warden, "No, sir. These are my pet fish."

"Pet fish?!" the warden replied.

"Yes, sir. Every night I take these fish down to the lake and let them swim around for a while. I whistle and they jump back into their buckets, and I take ‘em home."

"That's a bunch of hooey! Fish can't do that!"

The man looked at the game warden for a moment, and then said, "Here, I'll show you. It really works."

"O.K. I've GOT to see this!" the game warden agreed.

The man poured the fish in to the water and stood and waited. After several minutes, the game warden turned to the man and said, "Well?"

"Well, what?" the man asked.

"When are you going to call them back?" the game warden prompted.

"Call who back?" the man asked.

"The FISH."

"What fish?" the man asked.
____________________

Well, have a good Monday and start to your week!

12 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

Man am I happy I don't have a septic tank, I get my fill doing the cat litter.There is no hay of course.
I gather you have to pick it up in the spring to?

6:55 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

My Jezebel loves to go for rides too (but she's a tad too big to ride in anyones lap....although she'd gladly try!) :)

And I guess I missed a post or two...The V-Man went to visit his ex-girlfriend? Oooo...you have lots more paitence that I do!

It's still quite toasty down here during the day...in the upper 80's but t get a little chilly at night (in the mid 60's....hey, that's chilly for me!) :)

6:55 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That last sentence is very poetic.

7:47 AM  
Blogger dot said...

I agree with Anvil Cloud. What a great image.

Were still having eighty degree weather here in Texas. It must be nice to actually have four different seasons, but it sounds as is there is a lot of preparation for winter that you must go through. I hadn't really thought about it before.

Take care!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Oh I hear you on the emotions, I think mine are in the same place right now. It's very frustrating! Well I hope your day goes good :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I felt as if I were a passenger with you in your Jeep on that trip! lol! They have removed the Septic Tanks (Pheeuw!!)from my neighborhood sue to a new ordinance. HAPPY MONDAY!

1:08 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I hope that you hear from him soon. Waiting is always the worst part. I'm sorry your struggling with this.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Snow! Slush! Freeze... this early WOW.
All the prepartion you have to go to, to get ready for the winter It would never have crossed my mind.

I hope your Monday is a good start to the week

3:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

If you were any sort of blog buddy, you'd be sending snow my way LOL!!
Glad you helped your mum out. Sounds like you allhad a great visit together...Natty included!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

You are a good daughter. I'm glad we don't have to do that every year for our septic. Our frost line doesn't go that deep.

Hope he called you.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

we don't have a septic tank either, hope you get your mom some more bales at the weekend, you are such a good daughter...

you have more patience than me with V-man...I would be driving myself insane

have a great day...

2:30 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I guess I missed V-Man was visiting the girlfriend too. Good luck with that outcome...and I hope he doesn't make you wait too long.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home