Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Half a day off, sort of

I got out of bed a bit later than normal today, on purpose. Although Bossila is gone from the office for a work trip I called her yesterday for permission to take this morning off. Since Friday the brakes on my vehicle have been grinding when I stop. That’s not good but today was as soon as I could get a car repair appointment. And since my son is working I will have to hang around until the jeep is done. That won’t be too bad, though, because this car repair place is at the mall and I haven’t been there for ages. I just hope stores are open that early, possibly not, so I’ll find a book of some sort to bring along.

I haven’t been reading much at all lately. It used to be the way I used “extra” time but now I usually either blog or look at stuff online. Do you still read as much as you used to?

It’s very windy here today. The wind has been howling all night and it was supposed to bring rain and snow, but nothing so far. I love the sound of wind but it often knocks our electricity and our telephone service out. And since the heat is electric up here, it gets pretty cold with the power off, it gets cold and dark. So I don’t like the sound of wind as much as I used to!

I walked to the store in the dark to buy milk again last night. It wasn't as scary as the first time. I think it was because my son was home and I asked him to come looking for me if I didn't return in a reasonable amount of time!

From my E-mail
The Service
The funeral was held way back in the country and the young minister got lost on the way. When he arrived an hour late, he saw a backhoe and crew, but the hearse was nowhere in sight. The workmen were eating lunch. The diligent pastor went to the open grave to find the vault lid in place.... but still he poured out his heart and preached an impassioned and lengthy service.

Returning to his car, the young minister felt that he had done his duty and he would leave with a renewed sense of purpose and dedication, in spite of his tardiness. As he got into his car, he overheard one of the workers say, "You know George, I've been putting in septic tanks for 25 years, and I ain't never seen anything like that before; sort of gives new meaning to the term "Holy Crap."

Habit solution
Most of us have a bad habit we are constantly trying to break. For me, it's biting my fingernails. One day I told my husband about my latest solution: press-on nails.

"Great Idea, Honey," he smiled. "You can eat them straight out of the box."

Notice this
A taxpayer received a strongly worded "second notice" that his taxes were overdue. Hastening to the collector's office, he paid his bill, saying apologetically that he had overlooked the first notice.

"Oh," confided the collector with a smile, "we don't send out first notices. We have found that the second notices are more effective."

I haven't looked my my blog yet this morning. I hope the links are back, they were mysteriously gone when I looked last night. I don't know why that happens, checked the template and it all was there, it just didn't show up. It's difficult to make my normal blog rounds without the links! Have a great Wednesday!

11 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

i feel i am missing something owing to my lack of blog reading recently. i'll trawl your archives.

take care.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I read as much as ever. I consider it a necessary activity, not one saved for spare time. On the other hand, I watch a lot less TV than I did in past years.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i try and read a lot, but blogging and stitching and watching TV tend to get in the way...i had a break from stitching for about 18 months, now I can't put it down which means my reading has stopped...i do read the newspaper every day though...hope your car is ok

:0)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I don;t like the wind either. I once listend to a load of my roof slates coming off the roof one windy night. All I could do was add up the £££ as each one fell.
I also do not like it when Hubby eats curry... but I think that is another type of wind !!!

I am trying to read more to but as soonas I get to the end of the second page I usually fall asleep.
I have just finally finished The Da Vinci Code.. it was brill and so I have started Angels and Deamons
I have the last "detective agency" book to read and a load more too.
I hope that your car got fixed properly.
Sorry I am so late in posting and commenting

3:09 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Wind is bad. I hate it!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Yup. I still read. I love to read and write. I haven't watched television since my daughter visited two weeks ago. It was windy here in Mimico today, too. Thunderstorms. I hope you're doing the right thing by sharing VM's blog.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Since I started blogging, my reading has gone down. So has my house work, which isn't good. I have made a promise to myself not to do any blogging except in the early morning and right before I go to bed.

I live in Houston and it almost got to 90 degrees today. The air is back on.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Reading is my passion, well lets face it it has to be, i aint got no love life you and Veggie Man LOL!

Seriously, i don't watch as mch tv as i used to. I watch a select group of shows thats it. My studies take up all my time, and i have to read the academic texts that go with the subjects. I can't wait for this month to be over so i can get back to reading "normal" novels again for 3 months!
I envy "magpie", i have so many stiching pieces to finish, i miss it.

10:24 PM  
Blogger dot said...

I used to read a lot before my kids were born, not much now, though. The last two books I read were by Ian McEwan (I never spell his name right). "Atonement" and I think the other was called "Stone Gardens".

Hope the brakes are fixed soon. Take care.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Scooter Deb said...

While my reading time has been reduced, I find that the time I would've spent writing is spent on blogging. Good or bad, I'm not sure... just that my personal journal is looking a bit thin these days!

12:06 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

I actually read more now than I used to. I would say it's surprising except I used to read very little.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home