Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Beets come back

SLA (she who loves animals) came over to visit me last night. She brought a whole lot of books (which I can bring out to my Mom’s next Sunday), an ironing board and some shelves. I’m trying to take whatever she offers me, in case this horrible home-losing thing doesn’t go through against her. Then she can have all of her stuff back. It was so heart-wrenching, wish there was something I could do. She cried and spilled her beer all over the photos of her new little grandson. Life just keeps getting worse for her, why is that? It makes me mad, and really, really sad for her.

I didn’t tell her about my re-connection, just that I had visited Vegetable Man out at his farm. She knows him quite well, too, back from when he and I were engaged. I’m a bit nervous to tell my friends. It’s been such a long time that we’ve only been friends that my friends are all very used to only seeing him in that way, because I did. Whatever changed my mind about him, I don’t know. I secretly think that I’ve always loved him a little even while we were strictly friends! He’s always been the epitome of the (near) perfect man to me.

So why did we ever separate way back then? He and my son didn’t get along well at all (ironically, they did when my son got older, but he and I were only friends by then) and it created a stressful, unpleasant situation. And a mother is going to choose her child even over someone she loves, not that there was ever an ultimatum about it or anything. My son had already been through enough and didn’t need extra stress, so we split up and a few months later (because we missed each other’s company!) got back together as friends only.

Yesterday my former co-worker friend (from another company, when I used to work there) and I had lunch. She had the entire summer off and has just gone back to work this week, lucky duck! I did tell her about the re-connection and she was happy for me. We caught up about happenings over the summer (I hadn’t seen her since June) and it was a great little lunch to make my day!

Oooh, guess where I’m going after work! How will I ever concentrate at work today? And it’s been so hectic and busy, too.

The normal freeway exit to the little village that leads to the farm will be closed, so he gave me an alternate route. Hope I don’t get lost or anything. I’ve been somewhat of an airhead over all of this. I roasted the beets he gave me and put them in a lemon/orange/wine vinegar/olive oil dressing according to a new recipe I tried out last night. Some of them will return with me to the farm.

From my E-mail
Things That Drive a Sane Person Mad

-You have to try on a pair of sunglasses with that stupid little plastic thing in the middle of them.

-The person behind you in the supermarket runs his cart into the back of your ankle.

-The elevator stops on every floor and nobody gets on.

-There's always a car riding your tail when you're slowing down to find an address.

-You open a can of soup and the lid falls in.

-There's a dog in the neighborhood that barks at EVERYTHING.

-You can never put anything back in a box the way it came.

-Your tire gauge lets out half the air while you're trying to get a reading.

-A station comes in brilliantly when you're standing near the radio but buzzes, drifts and spits every time you move away.

-There are always one or two ice cubes that won't pop out of the tray.

-You wash a garment with a tissue in the pocket and your entire laundry comes out covered with lint.

-The car behind you blasts its horn because you let a pedestrian finish crossing.

-A piece of foil candy wrapper makes electrical contact with your filling (or braces).

-You set the alarm on your digital clock for 7pm instead of 7am.

-The radio station doesn't tell you who sang that song.

-You rub on hand cream and can't turn the bathroom doorknob to get out.

-People behind you on a supermarket line dash ahead of you to a counter just opening up.

-Your glasses slide off your ears when you perspire.

-You can't look up the correct spelling of a word in the dictionary because you don't know how to spell it.

-You have to inform five different sales people in the same store that you're just browsing.

-You had that pen in your hand only a second ago and now you can't find it.

-You reach under the table to pick something off the floor and smash your head on the way up.

Today’s Question: Provided that you ARE a sane person, what drives you mad?

13 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

you're exited - I'm exited for you...can't wait to hear about your night...!!!

awwww i'm so glad its going well for you...hope your friend is sorted soon, does she have a new place to live yet...???

:0)

6:14 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I am sorry about your friend. I hope things get sorted out soon and for the better.

As for you PBS... well I am so excited/happy/delirious for you. I hope it all works out well for you. You made a big sacrifice for your son, now it is your turn.

I am not a beetroot fan but that receipe sounds very yummy I hope that the vegetable man likes it to

ooo and I also hope you do not get lost lol

6:33 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Hope things get better for your friend...what a rough patch to go thru!

And as far as your Veggie Man... yes, you've got to share how everything goes. Well, maybe not EVERYTHING, but...you know what I mean! :)

And as for what drives me crazy??? All of the above things from your e-mail!!

Okay, how about getting in the shortest line at the drive-thru window at the bank and it taking you longer to get thru than if you'd have chosen one of the longer lanes???

7:06 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

And the 'beet' goes on. lol

8:37 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

people who think it is cute to repeat every single sentence said! And they laugh soon after... SO. NOT. FUNNY.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I have just totally laughed out loud at them - hubby must be wondering what I am doing! "put on hand cream & that can't turn the knob to get out of the bathroom!" I am still laughing & now crying too!!! Only because all them things happen to me on a regular basis. The week before last, both me & my work colleague lost our pens within about 10 mins of each other. No-one else visited our desks & we didn't go anywhere. We've still not found them pens. WHERE DID THEY GO??!!!

1:15 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I am sorry for your friend, I really hope that things will work out.

What drives me crazy? When anyone within a 10ft radius of me is smacking their lips in a restaurant. Ugg, that really makes me nuts.

1:35 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

The nonstop dog yapping really kills me.
Wow, it seems that so much has been going on since last I had a chance to read your blog. Things for you sound good, so that's nice to read but your friend's situation sounds terrible. I will learn more I guess as I backtrack.
This spam/bot prevention you have seems like a good idea. Did you add it specifically from somewhere?

2:09 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I have to agree, the barking dog drives me mental.
Ooooooooooohhhhhh...i am soooo excited for you...vegie man AGAIN! Heh, twice in one week *sigh* poor me LOL, i beter go back and read my sex fairy email again!
Bummer about your friend, i find bad luck tends to really haunt some people.........no fair :(

8:47 PM  
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

My husband and I were only friends for the first year we knew each other. We are the perfect couple now.

http://confessionsofachristian.blogspot.com

9:31 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

It's lovely about the vegetable man. I know there are some people you love through thick and thin, and in different ways---you're lucky you've got it worked out.

what drives me mad? Having a really good idea about a comment I'm going to make, reading other people's and forgetting my own brilliant one.

9:40 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I hate it when shopping cart users don't take their carts back to the cart stall and just leave it willy nilly...(usually taking up a close car space I could have...or a shady spot)! These people need an arrow through their forhead!

1:49 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

Katya: Thanks, me too! No, sadly she doesn't yet.

Fizzy: Me too, I'm worried about her and what's going to happen. I DID get lost, twice!

Peanut Queen: Yes, I hate that too at the bank! Why does that happen? I've already told quite a bit more than I'd first intended, so why not?

Anvilcloud: Good one, that's cute!

Red Hot Sexy Papa: That IS really annoying. They do it on purpose to annoy you--and it works! (at least for me)

DISCOMBOBULATEDAT100MPH: Yes, that's so true, but so easy to forget. Thanks for the reminder!

Aims: I've had both of those things happen too, recently! Pens must behave like socks, the disappearing act.

Katie: I hope things will come around for her, too. Ugh, lip smacking is so gross!

Glomgold: I had a neighbor with a yapping dog, when I lived in town. It drove me crazy!

Michelle: Yep ;) too bad he lives so far away!

Amber Lynn: I'm hoping for the best, as I really like this guy! Good for you and your husband!!!

Lorna: Veggie Man and I have a multifaceted relationship! I hate forgetting my comment too, so like to be an early commenter, if I can!

Magicfingers: It's so nice and I hope this new twist will last. I've cut my finger opening a packaged item.

Sumo: Yes, I hate that too. Just the last time I went grocery shopping there was a cart in my parking space. I took it back, plus my own. Very annoying, are those people in such a great hurry or just lazy?

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home