Sunday, August 21, 2005

Veggies!

Was it only Tuesday that I wrote the post on My Foolish Heart? (Which I tried to link, but it didn't work.) Now I’m debating, how much do I want to tell? First, we’ll start off with the plans that didn’t go right.

Saturday I watered and played around in the garden and with the animals in the morning. Called and received calls from the members of the “scone club” (think I’ll just call them that, now that you know the history behind it) and some could meet early and others only late. So greedy me, who wanted to see ALL of my friends decided to straddle both groups. I went to our coffee shop meeting place early to meet with the early ones and stayed until the later friends could come. It was great and I got to hear about all sort of work troubles, which seem to be rampant nowadays and tell about my Friday night dinner. But it was pretty late by the time I got back home again.

I had made a quick call before leaving, to my friend couple who were going to the fair. I called them again when I got back home and left another voice message. Then I called Vegetable Man. He was out in his gardens, of course, and wondering where I was! Suddenly I remembered that I had been supposed to call around noon and go out there in the afternoon while coming back from the fair. Somehow, in the busyness of the week, I had forgotten what we had decided. I also was a bit nervous about going out there, even though I love to see him. There was still no mention of his live-in girlfriend. I normally am very punctual and also don’t forget to call when I’m supposed to call! I think I was really afraid of being disappointed and vulnerable.

He was disappointed that I hadn’t called earlier and wanted to set a different time and day, but after talking a bit, we decided to just do it that day, sort of as originally planned. Still no mention of the live-in girlfriend. I threw a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, some shoes and socks (was wearing shorts and sandals) into the car along with insect repellant and was on my way.

The place is so familiar to me, and yet remote, it makes my country place seem like a suburb. We walked down to the pond he had dug a few years ago. I remember when that pond was a great idea in his head and the area was full of brush and trees. Now it was manifest, out of his imagination and sketches into reality. The walk-around was like that many times, the things we had talked of, had dreamed of doing were out there in reality. We had hugged upon meeting and hugged again down by the pond. I was getting vibes from him but was thinking maybe they were wishful (on my part) vibes!

He started picking vegetables for me and got a sack to put them in. The 16-year old “puppy” I had once given him came out of the house to greet me. I was admiring his garden and him too, he’s a runner and a cyclist, tall, lean and built! Remember the “Seven List” with the “Seven things that attract you to the opposite sex”? He fits every one of the seven, plus he’s hot, which I hadn’t mentioned in that list! He made a comment about being sad and lonely. I think my heart stopped right there, but I asked in a quiet voice “Why is that?” Turns out he and live-in girlfriend have been separated for awhile, and a couple of weeks ago called it quits.

Well, don’t know if I want to go into great detail as to the rest of my visit, but if this was one of those old-timey romance novels (you know, the sweet and innocent kind not the bodice-ripper ones) the narration would go something like this: “Reader, he seduced me with flowers.” And it’s true, they were beautiful sensual flowers plucked from his garden, some had heavenly scents, weird suggestive shapes or velvety petals. Lying naked in the lush green grass, looking up at the sky, the tickle of a breeze, the sound of the birds, feeding each other raw fruits and vegetables (and laughing about it) from the garden, well…you get the picture. Did I get my vegetables? That would be a yes!.

From my E-mail
Sunday School
Mrs. Richards was testing the children in her Sunday school class to see if they understood the concept of getting to heaven. She asked them, "If I sold my house and my car, had a big garage sale and gave all my money to the church, Would that get me into Heaven?"

"NO!" the children answered. "If I cleaned the church every day, mowed the yard, and kept everything neat and tidy, would that get me into Heaven?" Again, the answer was, "NO!"

By now Mrs. Richards was starting to smile. These kids had really been paying attention in her class! "Well, then, if I was kind to animals and gave candy to all the children, and loved my husband, would that get me into Heaven?" she asked them again. Again, they all answered, "NO!"

She was just bursting with pride for them. "Well," she continued, "then how can I get into Heaven?" A five-year-old boy shouted out, "YOU GOTTA BE DEAD!!!"

10 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Vegetable of the day: Let Us in the garden.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Hi, Thanks for visiting my blog. I will be going back & reading your stories when I have time.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Great post! Ain't romance grand?

3:11 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

My heart is going "yay" for you! Come on with the details missy! Details!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I'm glad it worked out so well. And you got vegetables as well. Ooo la la..

7:34 PM  
Blogger An Epistemology said...

So well written, who would have known a vegetable garden would be the back drop of an unplaned romance?

1:13 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hubba hubba hubba!! That's it, i am growing veggies!

2:42 AM  
Blogger dan said...

kids say the greatest things

3:24 AM  
Blogger dot said...

I'm so glad you got your veggies!
I love veggies!

1:53 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Definitely great for you. I am feeling giddy by proxy!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home