Saturday, August 20, 2005

Oh what a night!

Wow, last night was pretty fun, even though I was out with least-favorite co-worker, big boss, and bosszila! The Congressman, his aide and a neutral co-worker were also there. I had rushed home and took care of the animals, also checked some blogs! Guess I should have been prettying up instead, as the three other woman had gone home and made themselves into dinner-dates. Oh well, I had worn a decent outfit to work and so just took off my jacket and pulled back my hair.

The setting was in a plushy “good old boys” type of restaurant. We had a table in the middle of the room. Least-favorite, Neutral and I were seated at the table first. The other woman had some wine, which may account for their boldness and bragging later. Big boss came and sat by me. He’s been solicitous since my office melt-down. Maybe it pays to be a sissy-wimp? Still, I’d rather the whole thing hadn’t happened! Lastly Bosszila came and sat by Least-favorite, her little office pal (and snitch).

Oh you should have seen the stir in that restaurant when the Congressman and his aide came in—and they sat at our table! I felt like a celebrity. The waitpersons, who had already been pretty attentive snapped to attention. People were trying to catch his (and our) every word politely from their own table. But there were a few who just had to come up and talk to him. He was great, warm-hearted and open with everyone, and finally the others left him alone so we could have him to ourselves!

You never heard such bragging as that going on (and on!) at our table! Neutral co-worker and Least-favorite were dropping names, mentioning activities they had done/been into. Least-favorite would even interrupt the Congressman to be sure to get in her every point. At first she was rather entertaining, but soon turned to obnoxiousness. Bosszila also mentioned some history but spent most of her time making cute poses. If you’ve read my blog(s) you can pretty much guess what I did—sat and listened to every word! Big boss did pretty much the same thing, and he is the one who knows the Congressman best.

And the Congressman was fascinating. I could have listened to him all night. He had tales of Congress and White House happenings, had a story about the cute verbal exchange of Bush and he when the President signed our bill in Chicago. (The dinner was a thank-you for that.) Later he told some stories about his grandchildren, because Bosszila had showed him a photo of her kids (yes, they’re adorable, poor things!) but it wasn’t boring, like usual stories about “my kids”. That man can tell a really good story, he had us laughing all the way through the dinner. What a great entertainer! Maybe he missed his calling…

Speaking of missing his calling, I might have had a political career of sorts. No, not as a candidate, as I’m not quick-thinking and outgoing enough for that. Some years ago when I was still active in the party, I was elected the Secretary of the party in our city. It was no small honor, as we’re the third largest city in the state and the party is well-known and active here. In the huge school gymnasium filled with people, I got to walk down to the podium. I also was elected a state delegate at the caucus. It broke my heart to have to turn them both down a week later! I was working two full-time jobs then and could not possibly squeeze it anything like that, with all the meetings and the travel required. But for a week I had tried to fit it in, and then realized it wasn’t fair to the party and resigned both honors, sniff. I haven’t been active since. Whew, I just had to get that out—having restrained myself from any bragging at the dinner!

Oh, and as long as I’m bragging (uh oh, you're thinking...), the Congressman and his aide knew me by name (but maybe had been coached?) and the Congressman gave me a warm hug as we were leaving, in which I told him “Thanks for being our champion!” in his ear. It’s my third hug from him, and yes, I’m counting! When we were in Washington DC we had visited his office and he’s come to our office, too. And no, he doesn't know anything about my past party activities. What an exciting night last night was!

from my E-mail
Tail Light
"How long have you been driving without a tail light?" asked the policeman after pulling over a motorist.

The driver jumped out, ran to the rear of his car and gave a long, painful groan. He seemed so upset that the cop was moved to ease up on him a bit.

"Come on, now," he said, "you don't have to take it so hard. It isn't that serious."

"It isn't?" cried the motorist. "Then you know what happened to my boat and trailer?"

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, good joke! Glad the dinner was a good time. The "bosszilla" thing cracks me up... But there isn't any way I'd last long working with someone like this. Have a great weekend! (i wonder who the congressman is... Hmmmm)

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your jokes are always great!
Sounds like the dinner went well & was very entertaining.

Have a great weekend!

11:17 AM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

You said: "he had us laughing all the way through the dinner. What a great entertainer! Maybe he missed his calling…"


I dunno . . . don't entertaining and politics go hand in hand? Seriously?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Queen on the run said...

Sounds like you had an eventfull night!
Thank you for you kind comment. I feel a bit better now. I am just in a mood or a funk or something....

1:02 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Yes...who is the Congressman? I think you did yourself proud at the table by being a listener...because that showed up the Bosszilla. Bosses always appreciate people like you over those types. I am sure the Congressman thought more of you too. Are you sure you gave all the details...because if there's more...I'd love to hear it. Like what did everyone eat...that tells loads about people too.

2:17 PM  
Blogger dan said...

I am never ceased to be amazed

3:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Congratulations for not "big noting" yourself, as others did in front of the Congressman. Man, i loathe people who go out of their way to do that.
Sounds as though you had a great evening, came out smiling with your dignity!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Ha! Good joke!!

Glad dinner went better than you had expected...even with the coworkers!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

sounds like you had a fab time, your congressman sounds like a good guy...

is it possible you all probably get checked out before hand, you will probably be on some database somewhere...making sure you aren't going to stab him with a spork...lol

:0)

3:48 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Sounds like a mixed bag at your table. Required focus!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home