Saturday, August 13, 2005

Ahhhh, Saturday!

It's Saturday, wonderful beautiful Saturday! I went out with friends after work yesterday. It was the first time I've seen friends since I came back from my trip. They had received my postcard and were curious of how bad, exactly could a free trip be? So I told them. It was a great way to let off steam and probably I wouldn't have had my office meltdown if I had been able to talk to them first. Oh well, what's done is done. I was glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has cried at work!

But one of my best friends has a horrible situation going on, she's losing her house. I've suggested places to go and things to do (came from a "helper" work background!) but nothing "takes" and to many of the things she says "Oh, maybe I should try that!" but doesn't. I feel so helpless as there doesn't seem to be any way to save her. I've decided (a bit slow, here) that's she's suffering from depression and THAT is the real, underlying problem. But she's going to lose everything, has nowhere to go. Turns out her multiple job applications have been very half-hearted--faxing a generic resume to the business! So it's no wonder that nothing has turned up.

OK, sorry for yet another depressing post! I still haven't been able to make the blog rounds yet, either. But here are some silly puns to lighten it up. Have a wonderful weekend!

Later: went out and played in the garden. My corn/beans/vine stuff combo is coming along nicely. I had planted them in the "three sisters" fashion as I read in a history book about native tribes. I love to walk barefoot and pull out the weeds! My tomatoes and peppers have fruit coming along finally too and I brought a few fat cucumbers into the house to chill for eating later. I love summer, summer is so good!

from my E-mail
Names and Puns
I Want to Help: Abel N. Willin
Smart Beer Making: Bud Wiser
Genie in a Bottle: Grant Wishes
Fifty Yards to the Outhouse: Willy Makit and Betty Woant
Tinseltown Tales: Holly Wood
Ready...Set...: Sadie Word
Raising Flowers By Hand: Flo Wrist
Skunks in the Shrubbery: P. Yew
I'm Fine: Howard Yu
The Dead Of Winter: Jan Yuary
Mensa Man: Gene Yuss
Tear Up Those Betting Slips: Lou Zerr
Hollywood Gossip: Phyllis Zinn
Mexican Revenge: Monty Zuma
The German Bank Robbery: Hans Zupp

Noise Abatement
"Flight 1234," the control tower advised, "turn right 45 degrees for noise abatement." "Roger," the pilot responded, "but we're at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?" "Sir," the radar man replied, "have you ever heard the noise a 727 makes when it hits a 747?"

11 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

That is sad about your friend. But she needs to want to help herself before you can help her.

You are a good friend, I would sure want you in my corner. She is lucky to have you.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sometimes people, or their brains, go numb when they're in difficult spots.

11:22 AM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Sorry to hear about your bad trip and the office meltdown. I used to work for a very small company and the boss would leave for the day at lunchtime and after a few too many beers call and yell at me for nothing. He would always apologize the next day, though. One day after listening to yet another "rant by phone", a co-worker asked what was wrong and I lost my composure. My anger and frustration turned into tears and then sobs.

That's very sweet of you to help your friend. Maybe you could offer to write cover letters for her? Thanks for the silly puns!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

its sad about your friend, if only she had paid more attention before its too late...you are a good friend, but in hard times its hard to see the right thing to do...

:0)

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trouble with depression is that people suffering from it, quite frequently try to ignore their problems in the hope that they'll disappear. Unfortunately this usually only serves to exacerbate their difficulties.

She has to face it, that she needs to help herself first.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kirsti said...

Thank you so much for your nice comment! I like your blog too, will be bookmarked.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sorry about your friends prediciment. Hopefully she'll get the help she needs :)
Your vegie garden sounds delicous!

1:48 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I think you are right about your friend. I know when I'm feeling down I have a friend who tells me loads of things to get myself out of a funk and I just say the same as your friend, "Yeah, I could try that" but never do. She just has to find her own way out right now.

But you are right, summer is good, if only mine would come back!

5:23 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Good idea on the garden strategy, PBS. I think I might try that next year. My peppers and tomatoes didn't do very this year.

The saddest thing regarding your friend is just how easy it is to slip through the cracks of life. Most of us aren't all that far from homeless abandon if everything turns south in our life. I hope your friend is able to stem the tide and turn things around in time.

6:29 AM  
Blogger dan said...

"Tear Up Those Betting Slips: Lou Zerr"

i hear that.

6:34 AM  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

sometimes i wish i really could walk a mile in someone's shoes--just so i could make different choices for them! is that wrong?

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home