Friday, October 21, 2011

Eating the living room decorations

Another morning, more baked squash for breakfast. It's become a habit for me lately. Although a visit to the neighboring state's farmer's market is in order for tomorrow because I had to look around to find a squash of the day this morning. The chosen one was a beautiful Buttercup squash that had been a decoration in the living room. How I hated to cut into it, so gorgeous. The little striped squashes were so pretty too, but I already ate them. Sometimes it's hard to eat such gorgeous decorations, wish they would last forever but they would not. Not around here with a daily squash-eater!

Had a momentary panic when the shaker of black pepper ran out and I could not immediately find more. Nooooooooo! Black pepper is a necessary item on baked vegetables along with olive oil and sea salt, love it, crave it.

In fact a couple of days ago a group I belong to on Facebook had information on dosha, or ayurveda mind & body type. I took the quiz and ended up a Vata type which was surprising to me as that type has a light frame and are agile. When I was done laughing, I tried another dosha quiz--same result. Hmmmm, the mystery cleared up when I read the lists of foods recommended for Vata types, black pepper being a prominent one (and you were wondering how black pepper related to this...) also squash and sweet vegetables. Olive oil is recommended, as are cumin, and cinnamon, spices I crave too.

A few years ago I found that having cinnamon daily has taken away the soreness and stiffness from my joints. The Dosha list says that beans, uncooked vegetables and sprouts are not so good for Vatas--very true even though I kept trying them. The raw food diet I was on made my inner core so chilled that I could not get warm no matter how many blankets, sweaters or jackets I wore. And that's why ultimately cooked food returned to my diet. The Vata designation explains that, as raw foods don't work well for Vatas, they need warm and warming foods. Wish I'd known all this before, but at least I know it now!

There's a book titled "What's Your Dosha, Baby?" and there is a quiz at if you're curious. (have tried several times and cannot get the link to show up on the blog, it shows up fine in editing, guess you will have to Google it, sigh)

So, I just gotta ask; what's your Dosha, baby?

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Whatever it is, my dosha does NOT include squash!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This post took me back to my childhod when my parents canned for the winter and always cooked European meals with grilled vegetables! :)

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am off to Google that book now. Dosha is a new word to me :)

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home