Sunday, April 19, 2009

Better to say nothing

Do you know that old saying, you know, the one that says if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all? Well, that's been sort of what life has been like lately. In real life I'm the quiet but cheery sort. In my journal and writing on this blog, it's a different story! But it is good to have a place to vent and to write what's on one's heart, even when it's not so cheery or upbeat.

And it's been busy, really really busy. Most everybody is busy, too busy nowadays and I've been no exception to that. Had another FT job in an office, while still trying to keep my beloved job working with families. It made for some long days, like 12-hour ones, and 7 days a week as there wasn't any time off. It didn't kill me but any time home and particularly any time on the computer was late nights spent writing up the reports for Job #1.

And during one quite notable week, I went on four job interviews (how I was hired for Job #2, the FT office job) AND the basement of my house got flooded again. Oh, and there was a Podiatrist appointment, two days worth of long-distance phone calls to the insurance company. Did you know that if water comes into your house from the outside that flood insurance doesn't cover it? An interesting fact I didn't realize. "Flood" insurance merely covers broken pipes, backed up storm drains and things like that. Again and again those insurance people told me that was why Katrina and the flooding in Fargo were so destructive. The insurance people kept telling me that only FEMA covers that type of incident--and only after the fact. Very interesting but I had ankle-deep water covering the carpet in the basement. That carpet was laid down in the spring of 2008 and the basement entirely re-sheetrocked, painted and trimmed. There's a bedroom, full bath and a living room down there that were wiped out in October 2007 because of a storm drain backup of 11.5 inches of water. This time it was a mere 4-5 inches but enough to cause a lot of damage, especially when I wasn't able to get it drained and dry for three days. It's a bit musty and still a mess down there. So the job offer came at a good time, right when I really needed some more money! But who doesn't need some more money?

To add to the surreal-ity of it all, the Real Estate company where I have the house listed suddenly kept calling me to show the house. Very bad timing that was! The agent finally called and chewed me out and I explained about the basement and thought he had gotten it. Nope, just yesterday he called me while I was at work with a family. He basically chewed me out again and I reminded him about the basement and asked if he really wanted to bring people through the house. Anyway, he was a nice guy about it and offered to help me find a way to do a short-sale on the house. Gotta do something about it....

Well, I could go on and on as life certainly has been "interesting" lately. Hope your life has been interesting too, but in a good way!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

Nice to hear from you again.
I can understand busy.
Seems that's all i am is busy but summer is almost here and with luck the good weather.

Thats bad luck ab out the basement.
Those insurance company pad their policies so well so they don;t have to pay for almost anything.
I hope you can get it clenaed up and the house sold so you can get rid of at least one big headache

Nice to see you post :)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The insurance companies can behave in a manner as I read here that can be described as "criminal". The agent sounded out of line to me.You are in my immediate thought and prayers to sell that house, PBS. You have some good karma coming!!! lol!

1:54 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

I"m sorry you've had such an annoying experience with flooding and the insurance companies. I hope life quietens down a little for you. My life has been "interesting" too, unfortunately not in a particularly good way. But then, not in a suicidally bad way either.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I've been wondering how you were doing. I noticed your comment.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I totally feel your pain on the flooding. I too had to find out the hard way that insurance doesn't cover flooding caused by "acts of God". You do have to have special "flood insurance" in order to have it covered by them. It sucks though and most people never know that until you need it and then it's too late. Also, if your insurance company finds out that your house did flood they will either raise your rates or cancel you altogether...even though they didn't pay out a dime to help you. It's criminal I tell you!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

we've been missing you. glad spring has bruoght you back.

1:22 PM  
Blogger molly said...

Wow! Wondered where and how you were! Now I know....bummer about the basement flooding. And who knew about the details of what flood insurance actually covers?? Hope things dry out and go calmly for you for a while!

2:06 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Wow that really sucks, Insurance companies want our money but when it comes to paying out they sure are tight fisted.

Congrats on the new job! That's awesome!

2:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back! I was kind of worried not hearing from you for a while, but I figured you were busy.

Congratulations on the new job. I hope it all works out for you. I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home