Saturday, January 10, 2009

What should have been a super day

I was kind of sad today--on what should have been a happy day. Today was my Grandson's first birthday! I had bought him a gift and got a cute card. I'd put off sending the card until Wednesday as I was hoping that somehow I could manage to get down there but it was not to be.

I mailed the card on Wednesday with rather a heavy heart and today was sort of sad for me, too. What I had feared has come to pass, my own Grandson barely knows me. We've only visited a couple of times all this past year. I miss him and miss my son and his girlfriend too. Son had called several times on Friday to see when/if I was coming. We finally talked in the evening and it was a short conversation because girlfriend had to get to work. I do hope this year will get better, as this was a huge disappointment. Part of my feeling is envy, too. The other side of the family sees Grandson a lot. They live in the same town and get to babysit him often. That's the "Grandma" he knows, not me, sigh.

But it WAS a busy day of work and I did get to see my Mom for a few hours.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger molly said...

Wow! Coincidences give me goosebumps! Today is also my grandson's b'day---his sixth! I feel like you do. I'm not the grandma they know well. I'm the one they only see a couple of times a year and it takes them most of my visit to warm up to me. Then I'm gone....Hope things will be better for you and that you'll see more of him this year!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Although I'm not a Grandma yet, I can relate to what you've said. I miss my niece and nephew in Australia...barely ever EVER get to see them...and in fact have never seen my nephew in person yet..he turned one in December.

As Molly mentioned, it can take my niece the whole visit to warm up to me, fair breaks your heart doesn't it?

I DO hope things are better for you this year and that you see plenty of him. Maybe webcamming is something to look into? Anna and her father webcam all the time across the ocean, and that way he gets to see his granddaughter grow, and she gets to know her Grandad.

*hugs*

1:59 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Hopefully this year will be an improvement. Cheer up, grannie. :p

5:55 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

My son's bday is today, and one of my grand daughter's bdays is this month, as I picked out cards for them, I had the same feelings as you.

I miss them terribly, and I know the feeling of envy for the other grand parents my grandkids have, they see them all the time, Christmas, bdays, other holidays. I got to see my grandson play in one football game, his other grandma hasn't missed even one.

It's hard being so far away and missing all those special moments.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Aw, that's too bad but a plight that so many endure these days. When he's older, you will have times that he will remember, and he'll look forward to seeing you.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I think in time he may love seeing you more as he doesn't see you as often.
Like eating apple pie everyday.
When you get that cherry pie you forget the apple.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Lots of good advice here---I'll come back another day

10:09 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

I'm sorry you missed out. Perhaps you could both set up webcams and have a little visual conversation with your grandson. He'd find it fascinating.

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the web cam idea is a great one and hopefully will be an ice breaker for the next visit.

I feel for you as it must be hard knowing your grandson's other grandparents get to see him and know him. It's a tough situation.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Dotm said...

It is sad when you are far away and can`t watch your grand baby growing up. I only got to see the three that grew up in N. Carolina about three times a year and have only seen one of the great grand children from there. Now there is the new baby that was born on my birthday, that lives with her parents in Virginia. They came up for 8 days just before Christmas so we could see the baby. Probably won`t see them again till nice weather in the spring at the earliest.
I hope you get to see the little one again soon.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home