Friday, December 19, 2008

Once bitten, twice snowed on

It's snowing out again. The weather has been alternating between 20's and 30's below--and that's actually temperature NOT windchill which would sound even worse--and snow. The temps have been too cold to use road salt and so they've been only using sand. Sand on the roads is certainly better than nothing but it makes a slippery, slushy roadway. The city where I live is flat, and a driver just needs to remember to start braking long before they actually need to stop. But the neighboring city is hilly and the slippery roads are quite dangerous there.

I haven't written much about the particulars of my new job. There are many interesting stories, but they aren't MY stories and are confidential, so not appropriate blog-fodder. But last night as a visitation was ending, I needed to bring the children down the long halls out to the foster parent's vehicle. One child took my hand, and I was pleased and relieved as we aren't allowed to carry them or hold their hands against their will. We were all dressed for outdoors. I was wearing thick leather gloves--and good thing that I was! The child bit into the fleshy part of my thumb where it joins my hand like she was biting into an apple. She hung on until I looked her sternly in the eye and said, "No, stop that." a whole lot calmer than I felt! They were the last family in the Center and I was supposed to leave at when the visit was over as the Center isn't in the best of neighborhoods. But my hand was throbbing so I went back into the bathroom. There was a dime-sized open wound, surrounded by bright orange and purple bruising. I ran warm water and soap from the dispenser over my hand until it quit throbbing, then put the glove back on to drive home.

As I was driving down the slick, slippery hill and the car wasn't stopping at intersections in the manner I would have liked, a child's verse was in my head:

Child bite, child bite
Last family I see tonight
I wish I may
I wish I might
Avoid further injury tonight.

I got home OK and put honey on the wound. Today it is much better and barely painful. Long ago as a meter reader I received dog bites fairly often. Those wounds would be painful for days because I hadn't given them first aid right away with warm water and soap. Also didn't know about the curative powers of honey!

The question of today is: How's your work going lately?

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

My work? They just cut our pay by 10%. Merry feckin' xmas.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PBS! I was shocked at this story and felt so badly for you!! I never knew about the power of honey before I read this!!! Heal up, my friend!!!!!!:)

12:33 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

Did you use Manuka honey? It's the one with the most antibiotic properties apparently. What a terrible thing for that child to do. I was hit in the face by a young boy once, when I was working driving the library bus. The shock of it hurt so much more than the blow (which did actually hurt quite a bit).

12:49 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The honey thing is news to me. Good to know: except I'll forget.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

The honey is a new remedy for me that i got to try.
I don;t work and a good thing to with m y family cus i dont have the time to work.
I don;t supposed you can bite back eh?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Dysfunctional families, welcome to my world! I must say i have never been bitten by any kids yet though. I have been called names, told i am the ugliest woman in the world, chased by dogs, told to fu** off.........all by my clients, the victims of crime!!

Merry Christmas PBS :)

12:31 AM  
Blogger dan said...

work is the same repetitve thing every day.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Work has been weird. There have been a lot of changes, a lot of shifts, a lot of politics. I'm weary of work right now, but at least I have a job, right?

I hope the wound is completely healed now and the weather is a little more bearable.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Well, I can honestly say I have not been "bitten" by my work lately! ha ha

I didn't know honey was good for wounds, learn something new every day right!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm making the rounds to wish all of my blog friends a Merry Christmas!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds very painful but I'm glad you knew just how to treat it to help the healing process along. I always pick an aloe vera leaf and put the gel straight on everything from insect bites to burns. It does seem to soothe any injuries I might have but I will definitely remember the honey remedy for next time.


I hope you have a wonderful Christmas PBS and hopefully next year there will be a big improvement in your fortunes. Stay cosy and warm.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Middle Ditch said...

Be careful. A human bite can be much more dangerous than an animal.

PB I hope that you have wonderful Christmas and a happy and creative new year.

Hug and LOL

7:45 AM  
Blogger Dotm said...

What a sad thing to happen. Thinking first that the child is a caring one , only to have the bad side take power over the kindness of holding your hand. Terrible how broken families have bad effects on some kids and leaves others very withdrawn. I have read that a people bite is worse than a dog bite because people have more germs in their mouth than the dog has. Glad you cleaned it up right away to prevent infection. Hope it heales fast.
Happy new year to you.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home