Sunday, November 23, 2008

Stonehenge was built to impress the girls

Sometimes I like to read letters written to "National Geographic" magazine. The magazine had an article about Stonehenge in the June 2008 issue. Letters regarding the article appeared in the October 2008 issue.

One letter writer ventured that Stonehenge was built as a sport complex. His/Her (only initials were given) reasoning being that humans tend to build things for three reasons: religion, defense and sports arenas. Examples given were the Colosseum in Rome, Mayan ball courts and today's "monstrous stadiums and ball parks."

But my favorite letter was from a writer in California who wanted "to share an epiphany I had the last time we visited." The writer went on to say, "Stonehenge, if understood more obliquely, was ultimately built to impress the girls."

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

I wonder if that worked. "Look - big rocks! Have sex with me!"

12:18 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Got caught up. Hope the babyland gets the use it deserves, and that something good comes of the tests that you took. You seem to have the most draconian working situations I've ever heard of

1:24 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Hickman said...

I used to read National Geographic from cover to cover. I don't find it as interesting anymore. I wonder if they need to discover some more tribes.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think the builders were all stoned.

8:20 PM  
Blogger molly said...

They might be on to something there!
After all, moving all those gigantic rocks was no work for wimps!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

I hope the builders weren't stoned - at least, not with stones that big.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

You know there might actually be something in that.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Interesting.
I used to love to read National Geographic....now I just watch the channel on TV.
It's a good channel to watch,but nuttin like reading the mag,huh?

6:51 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I hope it wasn't supposed to be a house because its a little drafty.
One thing uis for sure, some of those men must have gotten a hernia pulling those rocks from the garden ha ha ha

2:29 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I agree with that writer in California!

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy that little grandbaby!!!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Rainbow dreams said...

lol I used to live very close to there - and because we lived so close we were allowed into the centre right up close to them... you know, men will do a lot to try and impress the ladies, so perhaps there wa s apart of it.. I can just imagine them now, whose stone was biggest and who managed to balance on on top of the others!!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home