Monday, December 15, 2008

Winter has arrived at the home of the champions

"Winter has arrived with a vengeance." the local newspaper reports. We received our first blizzard of the 2008-09 winter season. This included:

"The city is advising no travel," according to Amy Norris, public information coordinator. “The snow plows are on the main roads only,” Norris said, “and with the rate of snow fall and the wind there is a lot of drifting going on, which is making driving very dangerous at this point.”

The Weather Service reports that travel may become “very dangerous to near impossible” across the region.

Bus service was stopped at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. “We’ve been hearing from drivers and they say with the blowing snow, it is impossible to see past their windshields,” said general manager Dennis Jensen. Jensen said they tried to give two hours’ notice to riders and that two buses are stuck.

"On Monday night, temperatures are forecast to fall to near 20 below and near 30 below just to the north." This doesn't even take into account the wind-chill factor.

"Wind and blowing snow are beginning to hit at full force. Gusts are expected in the 40 to 60 mph range. A gust of 58 mph was reported."

"Most flights were canceled." (of course-if ground travel isn't advised!)

All the area schools and many businesses are closed today.

But on the bright side:

"University of Minnesota Duluth’s 21-14 mens football victory over Northwest Missouri State on Saturday in Florence, Ala., secured the first NCAA Division II championship in the storied 76-year history of Bulldogs football. The Bulldogs went undefeated 15-0 in the greatest turnaround since Division II starting keeping track of the statistic in 1996." I graduated from that school so this is my team!!!! (Even though I haven't really followed them.) Yay for us, we're champions!

And then yesterday I stayed home and made bread and a casserole. Mmmm, nice hot food to eat! At least we still have electric power--unlike unlucky people on the eastern coast. Today I'm doing the laundry and making those coffee and tea mixes for Christmas gifts.

Have you finished your Christmas shopping and preparation yet?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

I finished all my xmas stuff because I don't do xmas. If the winter here gets any harsher, I may have to close my bedroom window.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you're staying in today.

Our snow ended in a bust last night, but it's still very windy and the temperatures are in the single digits. My husband was scheduled to work outside today. I really hope the company decided to be humane and scheduled him somewhere else.

Your food and gifts sound wonderful. I tried to make a tea mix one year and it completely flopped. Any advice?

Most of my Christmas shopping is done. I have a couple of things I'm waiting for in the mail still and some wrapping. But we seem to be ahead of schedule so far this year.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

We got pounded up here the other day with a foot of snow but it did have mercy on us and through is some freezing rain after so everyone could slide to work.
It's the perfect excuse to stay home and watch other people belly flop past your window to the corner.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, PBS: I have 3 people right now on my Santa's List...Two of them I've shopped for...one to figure out...Wow! You brought back Winter to me in a big way with that weather report!!...I am so happy in Arizona...Just rain and a bit chilly last night...Stay warm and lol to you!!!!:D)

9:52 PM  
Blogger RC666 said...

Yeah this weather sucks! I've got everyone but my son done, he wants everything and I need to figure out what he deserves and I can afford...

10:48 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

I only had 8 people to shop for, but I've only managed to buy for 2 of them!!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Last night Texas started looking like we were gona have some snow stick..but nuttin'.Besides...snow?HERE? That would be cool,but no dice.Can't remember really having enough snow to even build a snow man since the early 80's..I think 83,and then it was a dirty snow man.(wait...not a perv snowman..LOL)..lotsa dirt..*cough* you know what I mean.
And can I shop with you? Sounds like your on top of it all.I'm not through yet. ;-}

4:44 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I'm almost done...just stocking stuffers left to get but I'm stumped on the boys. I just never know what to get them. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Brrr...that sounds just downright chilly. We had a cold front move in last weekend but it's supposed to be ok again until the weekend again. Luckily for me we don't get that cold, just the teens for us. Cold enough though!

Stay warm!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well here in sunny Australia we're experiencing one of the mildest summers I can ever remember....SO FAR. Of course that can all change in the blink of an eye.

Stay inside and keep warm.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home