Friday, September 26, 2008

Skinny-dipping and stolen vegetables

OK OK, I take back most of what I've said about my Worker's Comp stalkers! Yesterday I called the Employment Finder one, who called me back and she was wonderful! Very supportive and talked with me well over an hour about the interview issues. It was good to discuss it with someone. Blogging it also helped---a lot! So thanks for your support.

After hearing the huge job description (clerical for five different departments but only 80% time) and the particulars, she seemed to feel that it wouldn't be that great of a job. She thought it might be the combining of several different jobs (maybe due to budget cuts) and probably very stressful. So if I get it it's fine with her but even more so if I don't get it. I was relieved and surprised to hear that. She isn't so bad, helpful even. I usually can get along with most anybody, even BZ and her little evil buddy--before I got injured, anyway.

Another WC person called me at 8:00 PM last night for a different reason, the upcoming Dr. appointment. She won't be able to make it and so will send someone else to accompany me. Disappointing, as she and I had talked quite a bit about a strategy to make the Dr. at least stop and talk to us! Every other appt he has just done sort of a fast circle into and out of the room, waving my X-ray and saying all is fine.

A couple of days ago as I was struggling to my feet, out my window I saw a woman inspecting my garden. Like, REALLY inspecting it, brushing leaves with her hands, looking at my vegetables! She walked right down my mini-driveway to the back door and I was all set to race downstairs, thinking she was going to knock at my door. Nobody walks down that far unless they want to knock, as it is quite private. But she didn't knock. In fact she turned around--and stated TAKING squash, zucchini, corn and tomatoes!

I wanted to lean out the deck door and yell, "Hey, stop stealing my stuff!!" until I really took a close look at her. She was older, had long white hair, was using a walker (with a basket to put the stolen vegetables) and had an oxygen tube-thing up her nose. Her clothes were non-matching, and very worn. She looked poor, very poor. The food she was stealing is good, healthy food. I hope it helps.

However, after that I'm going to keep my vegetables somewhat picked so I at least get a few things. Maybe ungenerous of me but I barely planted a garden this year, had difficulties in keeping it watered so it's not very plentiful, like usual. And I've been using the produce as barter, since I don't have much money either. Brought some to the wonderful neighbor who mows my lawn, gave some to the people who fixed my computer, etc. So while she certainly can have a little, I NEED the rest to barter! Not to mention I ate zucchini all last week and this week too (with varying herbs from the front garden), so I'm sort of living off the meager garden, too. I do miss all the tomatoes she took, had given the last batch away and was waiting for these to ripen. Oh well. There's always worse off people. I'm doing relatively well.

And then last night I dreamed of skinny-dipping! It was a meeting for work (not any real workplace, an imaginary, dream workplace) by the ocean. I could smell it and hear the waves. There were families with naked children, not like one would see in the U.S. At 9:00 PM (in the dream) a horn blew as a curfew and the families all left. The adults on the beach started stripping down to nakedness, and more adults arrived. A (imaginary) co-worker and I were shy about just stripping down in front of everyone so we went to the hotel-like structure on the beach, undressed and RAN down the beach. In the dream I was wondering whether to fold my arms to stop things from, er, jiggling as I ran! Interesting dream. Wish I hadn't awakened right then.

Well, what do you have planned for your weekend? Fun, good things, I hope! Have a good one!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I love the skinny-dipping dream---it's one of my favourite things but not done very often. I like lake water for it better than the ocean though.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Someone wants to get naked and go to the beach LOL

That sounds like alot of work and no time to do it in.
It would be very stressful and overwhelming at times and you don;t know what other suprises they would throw at you.
Grunts get the worse of it while bosses sit back and complain.

I got a wedding this weekend so I won't have dishes to do and as is tradition I should come home with ten pounds of pastries so no cooking for sunday too
There goes the diet HA HA HA

10:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's always difficult to know how much to give without overextending yourself. You probably did the right thing, but I can't help but think that it would have been better if she would have asked you. I'm sure you would have given freely if she'd asked. Maybe not many people would though.

I hope you have enough vegetables for the next month before the cold weather sets in. The lows will be in the 40's again here next week. I'm looking forward to the mild weather, actually.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

OMG...you are posting again! I had not checked on your blog in awhile and I just happened to see you comment on the PQ's and thought...maybe, just maybe she's posting again! Work is killing me so I don't have time to catch up on all your recent posts but I'm so glad you are back. In case you tried to check on me, I've gone private. Let me know if you want to read, you are more than welcome to...I'll just have to add you.

Anyway, I hope I have some time soon and I can catch up with what is going on with you. Sounds like a lot of changes just from the browsing I did.

Glad you are back!

6:47 PM  
Blogger molly said...

Poor old lady....I'm glad you didn't yell at her! My budding botanist, being of limited means, likes to barter for plants! He is intent on having at least one tree of each variety of fig known to man. Roots cutting of ones he has, nurses them to respectable size, then badgers the plant guy at the flea market to trade with him! He also grows lots of different types of peppers---have you tried growing them? At least what you eat is healthy---no pesticides etc.....

10:20 PM  
Blogger Dear Jane... said...

thanks for stopping by my blog...my garden was a bit sad this year as well...did you see the giant zuchinni story I posted? was that you??

anyway, maybe the old lady had alzheimers? maybe she really thought it was her garden? yep, that's the Pollyana in me...

I have skinny dipped in the ocean and in a pool...and there is nothing quite like that feeling. awesomely freeing.

alright, I'll have to come back later and read your back posts to find out how you got injured & out of work...so sorry that happened though :(

11:56 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Interesting dream. What are you considering revealing in real life that makes you a little nervous?

And I almost wish that someone would rob from my garden. I have finished my canning/freezing for the year and we are so afloat in tomatoes that I am taking them to work to try to pan them off...unfortunately everyone else has tomatoes too, so no one is taking.

We eat tomatoes at every meal now and I am actually getting sores in my mouth from all the acidic content of said tomatoes...

2:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Catching up on bills and Blog Buds like you and wotking out! We used to fry green tomatos as kids!:)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home