Saturday, April 19, 2008

the visit

A wonderful thing happened last night! I was sitting on my chair at home, leg propped up in the air, exhausted after a brutal day (and week) of hostile-environment work. I thought I heard a sound at the front door but had the TV on and the furnace (now working again, it conked out and a repairman has been here 3 times) started blowing so I wasn't sure. Then there was a tap at the side door, right behind my chair. That's the door that goes out to my deck. I don't use it in the wintertime. I got up and hobbled to the door, peeked through the blinds--and it was my son's girlfriend and my grandbaby come to see me!!!!!

It had been two months since I've seen them and I've missed them terribly. Son and girlfriend had invited me to come down to stay with them after I was injured at work. They said they would totally take care of me. But I wasn't able to drive and even riding in a car that far wouldn't have worked unless I could have propped up my leg. So it just didn't work out. But girlfriend had to come up to dogsit for her grandparent's kennel. They have champion dogs and were paying her, otherwise she couldn't have afforded to drive all the way up here. Son is still at home, working but will try to come up next weekend if he can catch a ride.

Grandbaby is much bigger and babbles and plays. What a joy he is! She pretty much had to pry him out of my hands when it was time for them to go. She is planning to come back into town (grandparent's live about an hour's drive north of here) tomorrow and we will go to my Mom's to cook. Mom hasn't met grandbaby yet, her great grandson.

I was pretty low on groceries but girlfriend and I cooked up a good meal together last night. She is such good company, just like my son. They were made for each other! Shhhh, but he had called me about a month or more ago and asked me to have the rings his dad gave me taken apart (wedding band and engagement ring were welded together) so he can propose to girlfriend! I haven't been able to hobble to a jeweler yet but will make a better effort this coming week just in case he's able to come up here. Then I can give him the separated rings, one for their engagement and the other for the wedding ceremony. Isn't that the greatest news?!

Hope you all have good news too. I will, once again, try to read your blogs and leave comments. It hasn't worked too well for the past couple of months. If son does come here, maybe he can fix my computer too!

Later: I have visited a lot of blogs; some I could comment on and many, not. There are a couple of my very favorite blogs that I've not been able to comment on (or even READ other people's comments) for a long time. Sorry...

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

Now that is a pleasant surprise.
You got a visit from some of your favorite people.

Pretty soon you will have to call her DIL and not girl friend. You muast be excited to.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

WOW what a brill surprise. Just what you needed after your first week back. Good news about the secret. I won't tell anyone, your secret is safe with me.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I love it when you hear that tap, tap, tap and it is someone nice. I usually look out and see my mother in law and back very, very slowly away from the window....

11:15 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That is SO nice they came for a surprise visit!!! And I'm very happy for your son....sounds like they belong together!

Hope you're over your "hobbling" soon! :)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I'm glad you had a good visitor for a change!

Let us know when the big engagement happens!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

There's nothing like a baby to cheer you up and when that baby happens to be your grandson all the better. What a lovely surprise!

Hope that leg of yours gets better soon. I know what you mean about reading blogs. I get further behind every day.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

aww thats a great surprise, my friends baby had me in awe at the weekend, i must try not to be broody...

thats so cute about the rings,

hope you're up and about soon

xxx

2:16 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

I know just how you feel.I LOVE getting to see my grandbaby every chance....but a surprise visit when I'm on the outs is awesome.
Geez,hope you get to feeling better and less hobbly(if that's a word,even)....how sweet of them to want you to come stay with them while you are hobbling about.
My thoughts and prayers are w/ you,hun.
Tam

2:57 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

nothing like children to lift your spirits.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

unless it's money

11:59 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I hope you had a great Monther's Day with your grandson and son :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Hello PBS just popping to say hello and that I have deleted my blog, hope that does not mean we will loose touch as I have enjoyed our friendship over the years. PLEASE keep in touch - my e-mail is fizzyfizz1@gmail.com

fi

1:47 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

checkin' back to see if you posted anything new.
hOPE all is well.....
Take Care
T.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

What a nice surprise! It's always great to see loved ones we've missed.

So nice too, that you get along so well with your son's girl. Very important in later years.

Sorry to learn you got hurt but happy to see things are turning around for you now.

Come by when you can and hell... don't worry about commenting etc ... I'm just pleased as punch you haven't jumped ship like so many others have since I was last blogging.

Hugs to you.

Continue to feel great!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Yooo-hoooo??

9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Many of us are behind, PBS! I'm at least down to the "P's" and hope to get to the Z's by Tuesday! No worries. Heal up!!!!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Just checkin' in on you! Hope all is well! :)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I hope all is well with you and you;re jujst pre occupied with the baby who should be growing like a weed.

Have a Happy Fourth Of July

7:42 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Keep checking back in to see if you've updated. Hope all is well with you PBS *hugs*

9:41 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Pssst! Did you quit blogging too??? what's going ON out there! :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy August 2nd PBS!!!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

What a great 'pick me up" to have the wonderful surprise visit. Just what the Doctor ordered.

Everyone has 'stuff' in their life and sometimes I feel like I don't have enough energy to blog if there's a little black cloud following me, but I do get a real kick out of my blogger friends coming by to comment and that keeps me going.
I do hope your healing is speedy and that things steadily improve for you and yours.
Thank you for commenting on my sweet little boys. Their pure energy is so cleansing to the spirit and the soul.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home