Saturday, April 05, 2008

Fruitful Reading

Is anyone else having trouble leaving comments on blogs? I visited several of my favorite blogs yesterday and was only able to leave a comment on one of them. And I'm not sure that comment really "took" either. My computer has been freezing so I've been having to re-boot it 6-7 times every time I use it for the past two months. That has a dampening effect on blogging, since I need to sign on to the provider and then back on to Blogger each time. So I'm not sure if yesterday's comment-leaving problem is universal or just another annoying glitch in my computer and system. Oh well, I'm on now! After this note, I'll visit some blogs (until I get tired of re-booting) and try to leave a comment at each of them.

My life could be a sit-com. Well, a sit- anyway, maybe not so much com depending on one's viewpoint:
A friend and former co-worker (from a different company, not my present employer) that I hardly ever see anymore really came through when I called her early in my Worker's Comp vacation. She brought some wonderful old movies and a tote bag of good books. The first book I read was a beautiful autographed hard-bound copy from a local writer. A present co-worker had also loaned me some good books and I had asked her if I could loan one of her books to SLA, and received permission. However--and this is key--I thought about but did not ask Friend #1 if I could lend her autographed book to my Mom. Mom takes such good care of books, that even though I knew it was sort of wrong to do it without permission, I loaned the book to Mom last Saturday at the end of our weeking outing.

(Ah yes, and I bet you can guess the tragic direction this situation is heading!) Friend #1 called me Thursday and we had a brief conversation. Turns out she had loaned me that book before she even had a chance to read it herself, such sacrifice and kindness, and totally undeserved!!! I felt a bit guilty at hearing that but not really that concerned for my Mom is a fast reader and I would have the book safely back by Saturday, before seeing Friend #1 again. I did tell her that I had finished the book and really had enjoyed reading it.

Today I picked up Mom for our outing. At the end I came in to sit and talk with her a bit. She had some newspapers and the book in a plastic book all ready for me to take when I left for home. Mom offered to go with me to grocery shop since I had found out the day before that I cannot hop out of the store with a cart. I had to carry the (luckily only two) bags while hopping on the crutches. I declined Mom's nice offer, but then she gave me two plums and two pears. I dragged everything out to the car, drove home, dragged everything up the stairs (15 stairs, but they're carpeted) and was glad to be back home to rest. Until...

(Yeah, maybe I've been overdoing the suspense-ful ... thing)
I opened the bag and the pears had mushed into and RUINED Friend #1's beautiful autographed hard-bound book--that she hadn't even read yet! And I had just told her that I have finished reading it, so she will be stopping by to get it any day now. Yikes! She isn't a close close friend and is quite particular about her things. But then again, anyone would be particular about a brand new autographed hard-bound book!

I called some bookstores and ordered a copy, but it won't be autographed. Then I hit upon the idea to do an internet search. So I've sent an E-mail to the author (a local, remember) that I am in desperate need to purchase an autographed book from her! So we will see what happens first, Friend #1 stopping by to get her pear-sauted book or the local author. I sure do hope that there ARE some more copies of that book available. Wish me well in that race!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You do lead an exciting life. I hope you find what you need.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

You had a problem and worked hard to solve it. I am impressed.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Doesn't it feel like karma has abandoned you sometimes?

12:48 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Ouch, that really sucks but you know, i am not surprised. Shgit always happens when you are responsable for someone elses things lol

9:27 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Yikes...I hope you get a replacement before the friend comes for her book. Or, in case she doesn't you could always try to play it cool and say something "what...it was like that when I got it." Of course if you are like me (aka a horrible liar) it probably won't work. Good luck!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home