Sunday, April 06, 2008

A Blessing or a Curse?

Went to several of my favorite blogs today and could not leave a comment at any of them, grrrrrrrr.

It has been raining, snowing or hailing all day. I'm a bit worried about my first day back at work tomorrow. Well not really worried about the first day back at work but how I am to get myself there safely after finding out I cannot park near the building even with the Handicapped Tag. Apparently I still must park in the regular lot and hobble across the parking lot, across a wide street and then across a wide, bricked walkway. We are supposed to get a foot of heavy, wet snow overnight and into the morning.

It's scary and intimidating to think about and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do it if it's slippery out. Today it was too slippery for me to venture outside at all. I had to use a crutch to poke at and slide the Sunday paper close enough to grab it. The building managers do not take good care of the parking lot or the walkway. There has been a snowbank piled up there for days several times this winter. Crawling over it wasn't a problem when I was able-bodied but I won't to able to do that now. Later in the day the weather will get warm enough for it to melt off, I think, just not in time for my required 7:30 AM arrival at work. Even the handicapped ramp is left slippery and lacking shoveling or sand/salt. It may end up that I will have to call in to work from the parking lot, if I can't get any further. Hopefully I will be able to get from my house out to the jeep, which is parked as close as I can get it and the only stairs to navigate are the 15 inside stairs. Oh the things I have taken for granted, but no more!

And you wouldn't want to loan me any of your good books. The author has not gotten back to me yet and I'm totally dreading having to confess to infrequent-friend that I have ruined her prized book. She may become even more infrequent-friend or perhaps not a friend at all. That would be sad but my own fault, I knew I should have asked her before I loaned her book to my Mom. But who would have thought! My Mom is very careful with books.

Lorna mentioned "karma" in one of her comments. Friends and others have mentioned, over the years, that I am a "noble" person because I'm (usually) such a stickler for doing the right thing. Yeah, but it's only because I always get caught when I don't, I tell them! And it's true, I can't get away with even the most minor infraction. (remember the recent parking ticket, too?) It's a fear of the upcoming consequences that keeps me (normally) doing the right thing, not that I'm such a wonderful upright person! It's been that way for my entire life. It could be considered either a blessing or a curse, perhaps a bit of both. Are YOU lucky or unlucky in that way? And would you consider it a blessing or a curse?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I got your comment, so it must be working now.

And, did you move? 15 stairs and building managers? Did you sell your house? I feel so behind in the news.

I hope tomorrow goes well and you're able to navigate inside without too much trouble, or they understand you not being able to make it.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

It's to bad they don;t have a parking spot sloser for you until you get better concidering it was there you got hurt in the first place.

You just be careful as you go over and maybe someone should tell them they are still responsable for you if you get hurt in the parking lot.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I think you're very honest to asmit that about yourself. I'm one of those people too, I envy those with the guts to try and get away with stuff I would never dream of doing. I try to do the right thing but I usually end up feeling either ripped off or a bit of a doormat when I do.

We should both work on that!

;-)

1:05 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I am totally in favour of doing the right thing for whatever reason. Even when it's not popular.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Yeah, I'm blessed/cursed the same as you. I have to do the right thing because otherwise I pay dearly...I've learned from past experience too.

You know, I'm often glad that I live in Texas but after hearing your story, I'm even more glad. I never even realized that bag boys (kids that carry your groceries to your car for you) are not that common until I moved to Denver once. I'm so happy to be here where even if it's just one small bag, they will carry it for you.

As for the parking situation, I hope you manage to get to work safely. I think you should have some sort of dispute with the disability act or something. They should have to provide handicapped parking and if they don't, isn't that some sort of violation?

9:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PBS: I too have a few friends who have restricted access die to some weirdo bothering them. Sad, as we all suffer not being able to stay in touch.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home