Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Good Cheer

Oh thanks for the good cheer! I'll be in the aircast for another month with two crutches, and then graduate to one crutch and a walking boot. I can't wait! The accident happened at work when I was moving a heavy box from a tall storage shelf to a cart and the bottom fell out of the box spilling the contents (15 metal plates) onto my left leg and foot. It broke four bones. I was getting boxes ready for shipping, a large part of my job which will be prohibited for awhile when I return to work next week.

Had a fall yesterday. It was my own clumsy fault. I was trying to carry a (covered) cup of coffee--yes, I'm back on that stuff again--and was so concerned with not spilling as I hopped along that one crutch must have caught on something. I lost my balance, couldn't catch myself because of my injured leg, fell and dumped the entire cup of coffee on my pale gray/white living room carpet. Not good. It hurt too. My arm got hung up on the crutch somehow and now I have a sore underarm and left boob. A boob injury. I won't be mentioning that to anyone else, it's privileged info. Don't you feel special?!

Amazing how one injury can generate others, the palms of my hands have blisters too. But any one of you who have been on crutches know all about that stuff. It could have been worse. I could have fallen down the stairs or something. I drove again today and it went much better. Also went to a store and rode around in one of those little mobile cart thingys. Much easier than hopping, although I had to hop all the way from the parking lot into the store and back out again. I've gone shopping before but not alone, had SLA around to help me. It's more of a challenge alone but I'm proud that I could do it!

The nurse will be sending me a handicapped permit (just a temporary one) to bring to the DMV so I will be able to park closer. Hope it arrives before I go back to work on Monday. I hope to get back into reading blogs regularly again, but we'll see. The computer desk and spot aren't really handicapped accessible nor comfortable to put my leg up. Have a very good day!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

WOW four broken bones, it's a good thing you weren;t hurt worse than you are.
Why would anyone put sonething that heavy up so high?

I hope you get some rest and heal fast.
You may have to stop the one crutch aerobics though.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Onknees (not_onknees at the moment) said...

Hope you are up and around more, soon. My blog was started last summer because of knee surgery...I was venting, but apparently it was the start of something bigger...your list of thiings that are not handicapp accessible is so tru...we don't notice them until its us that are in that position... :(
Annette

5:44 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Well, I'm glad to hear from you again! I'm also really sorry about the circumstances though. I hope you heal quickly. You are right, crutches suck! I would always lean on them too much and get really sore under my arms. Not good!

I hope work is ok going back. Keep on blogging...we miss you!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

It happened at work!!!!
Four bones Oh my that sounds painful.
Hubby has just recovered from a huge burn on his foot from spilling (uncovered) black coffee on his bare feet, those sort of burns are very painful in themselves.
I hope that work "will behave" themselves and help make your working area comfortable and accessible from your return.

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home