Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Grandbaby is here!

He's here, he's here! Yes, I said "he" even though his mother and her family thought he'd be a girl. In fact the first thing her little sister (a teenager) said when arriving at the hospital room was, in a accusing voice "You broke the chain!" It was a chain of girls for (I think) five generations. My family has had mostly all boys. My Mom has seven grandsons. I was the last girl until my oldest brother's oldest son had a girl for his second child seven years ago (she's my Mom's greatgrandchild). I thought he'd was going to be a boy because of our family chain, but kept that info to myself because either would have been fine. Today is my son's birthday, so grandbaby was born five days before his Dad's birthday.

I have photos, of course. What self-respecting Nana would NOT carry around a brag book of pictures? I'll put some here eventually, but don't have time today because the computer is so slow at loading them and then uploading them into the blog. I've just been back in town for a little while and have already shown off my grandbaby brag book to three people! Today will be my first day back at work again. I've been off another batch of days for family leave. The benefits at my job are really good, one of the reasons I'm still there.

The stats: He was born on January 10th, I was in the delivery room for his birth and in fact, was the first non-medical person to see that fuzzy little head emerging. His little hands were waving around before he was all of the way out into the world. He was 8 pounds 12 oz, 22 inches long. And the most adorable, wonderful and cute baby ever, of course!

It was so hard to leave him (and them) and return back home. I can still feel that warm little weight on my chest. I held him and rocked him gently for three hours straight the last morning I was there, so his parents could get some sleep. He'd been waking up all night to nurse because he was hungry and her milk isn't in yet. Poor little guy. I think I would have supplemented the natural milk supply to not starve him so, but I'm finding that while he feels like a child of mine--he's NOT my child. I'm not responsible for him nor do I get to make the important decisions regarding him. It's a learning curve for a nana too. But mostly it's pretty sweet to get all of the joy and excitement of a new baby and none of the pain and labor involved! Grandchildren are truly a reward for having raised your own children!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

CONGRATULATIONS to you. That is so wonderful and I am glad "he" arrived safe and sound. Does this little person have a name yet? That really must have killed you to leave him behind and go home. Do they live very far away? Anyway, that's fantastic news and can't wait to see the pics.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations! A great start to the year!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

WOOOO HOOOOO !!!!
Congrats Grand Ma :D

At eight pounds he wasnt small was he.

I bet you're in heaven right now

10:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Congratulations PBS! what wonderful news and a great way to start off your New Year.

And as Gypsy has already asked...does this wee man have a name yet?

And OMG, at the weight of him, almost 9lbs! I trust mother and baby are doing well...it's more than obvious that nana is!

12:05 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Horray!!! How fantastic!
How wonderful that you were able to be there and see him so quickly!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Many congratulations!

4:19 AM  
Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Congratulations, Grandma! You brought back memories of my graddaughter's birth 4 years ago, although I wasn't in the delivery room.

I'm finally getting back to blogging...slowly, but surely...

3:07 PM  
Blogger deni said...

Oh Congratulations, that's wonderful!!

I was in the delivery room when one of my granddaughters was born, I have to say that is one of the most awesome experiences ever, and I am glad you got to experience it.

I am sure he is just gorgeous, can't wait to see the pics!

7:40 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I finally found time and a moment to remember that you were an impending grandmother. Congratulations are in order...though I am late to the party. I see by his picture that he is indeed a beauty...you must be very proud. Tell them to keep those pics coming so you can keep up with his growth, which will be all too fast. Lucky you!

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home