Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Two truths and a lie--at church

When I went out to get my daily newspaper this morning, I was admiring my front flower/herb garden. It's a small raised bed and everytime I'm out working on it, I get lots of compliments from passerbys, like, "That's a beautiful little garden!" which totally gratify my heart. Of course when those people are walking right by me, they probably feel they have to say something. But I choose to think they really are admiring my little garden. I think it's pretty, too, if I may be permitted to brag! Even the sage is blooming, although I did lose my treasured rosemary plant. I had been bringing it in every winter and planting it again in the spring. Early this spring it was not doing well indoors but the temperature was too cold to put it outside yet. The herbs always do much better outside, when the weather has warmed up. I was saying to it "Hang on there, little plant. Spring is almost here!" But the poor thing didn't make it, nor my hot pepper plant which was about four years old. My cold house isn't a great environment for plants, indoors.

And the lawn needs mowing again. I noticed that my neighbors are paying some high school boys to mow their lawn (and their lawn isn't nearly as large as mine). Wish I could afford to do that, but it's quite expensive. The neighbors pay around $40 per time and my lawn would be even more than that. Oh well. It's good exercise at least and a heat stroke at most. The problem is figuring out how to get it mowed after work. I have another open house coming up and need the lawn all mowed and edged before then. Not to mention the garden weeded and house all cleaned up. Hard to get that stuff done when I am gone all day at work and not home much in the evening, either.

Last night I met with SLA right after work as she desperately wanted to talk with me. She's going on a date with a man she met at her work and wanted to run his "specs" by me to see what I thought. After we talked for about two hours, she went on her date and I went to the "woman's night out" at church.

I was about ten minutes late and they had already started as it was awkward coming in with my covered dish past everyone already there, lined up for food. Most the women already had their food by the time my dish got put out and I was afraid my Rhubarb Cake would go untouched. I'm always anxious about stuff like that, feel domestically challenged compared to most women. Also, there was no room to sit by the people I knew. First I thought, "Well good, I can meet new people!" and everyone was friendly and all but I still much rather would have sat with the couple of women I already know. It would have been lots more fun.

The night out was sort of odd to me in that we didn't pray or do anything churchy. Perhaps the others wanted to get away from all of that and just hang out with each other but I would have welcomed it. We played a pictionary type of game which I was not good at, too slow to guess, someone always beat me. But I did seem to be quite decent at drawing stuff so people could guess it right away. Then we played that old icebreaker, "Two truths and a lie" in which we had to write down two truths and a lie on a small card and the others in our team would try to guess which was the lie. I'm being too critical of a mere game, but I found that a rather odd game to play at church! Maybe it was just me, I always think about things too much.

And my cake got used up, pretty much. But not in the way I would have liked. They had a game in which blindfolded people had to put makeup on another woman, then they switched and the blindfolded one had to feed the other one. Guess what they used to feed the victims? Yes, my rhubarb cake. It made quite the mess and looked very gross. Two of the woman who were force-fed my cake did say that it was good. Oh well. The cake was the perfect consistency for that game and there was still about a fourth of it left before it got stuffed into people's mouths.

Anyway, here are my two truths and a lie:
1. I have driven to Central America.
2. I have worked for the police department.
3. I grew up on a strawberry farm.

Guess which is the lie? Wanna play--and list YOUR two truths and a lie, and see how well your blogger friends know you!?

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That would seem like some strange games to me too for them to be played in a church.

Okay, I think I remember you saying you drove to Central America.... and you once worked for the Police Department (or maybe that was just when you went to that Citizens Class thing at the Police Dept.???)

Hmmm...I'll have to say the strawberry farm is the lie.

(And I would LOVE to have a garden but right now, I think everything would just plain ol' burn up!!! It's SO hot here!!!)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I was going to say driving to Central America but I trust Stacy so I'm going with hers too, you did not grow up on a strawberry farm. Although, I thought I remember you saying you did grow up in a rural setting. Oh heck...I don't know!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems to me that maybe church people can be normal, and I think that's good.

I don't think you worked for the police dept, but I think you would like to. That's my guess, and I had it before I read the others. :)

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh they're all lies???

4:18 PM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

Just a guess...you never worked in police dept.

11:27 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

AC and Magicfingers are correct. I've never worked in a police department--took the police citizen's academy training, and have worked for probably 30 difference companies so far in my lifetime--but never for the PD.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Denny Shane said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Denny Shane said...

My guess was the police dept... oh well... honest, I really was ;)

6:53 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Oh sure. Give away the answer, why don't you? No matter. I'll take a guess anyway. The police dept. That one was not true. Good guess, eh? LOL!

Yes, PB. You think about stuff too much. You're just like me, God love you!

8:41 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I knew it was the PD too...because you went there for some classes and road around in a police car and got to witness real situations. How about that Rhubarb recipe miss!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home