Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Big Bang

I love the 4th of July! Mostly because I enjoy fireworks and big crowds (sometimes, not all the time, but holidays are special). And there were so many fireworks shot off yesterday. In fact, I still hear some going off outside right now, a night later. Maybe these are the leftovers from the 4th of July stash. It all kind of goes along with liking big crashes of thunder and cannonfire.

Yes, cannonfire. When I was going to school and dating my husband to be, his frat had an old cannon at all the football games. Dates and girlfriend's job was to stuff the cannon with tightly packed, wound up toilet paper. Whenever our team made a score, one of the frat boys would light the fuse of the cannon and set it off. We didn't have a great football team then, but the cannonfire was also used to mark the half and the end of the game. The explosion was great and I'd get as close as I possibly could, to even feel the air reverberating. That's probably why I have a bit of loss of hearing nowadays! That and the loud concert music. But what fun, I really loved playing with the cannon. We'd sit on it, but not right after it went off because the barrel was hot for awhile.

We also set off fireworks, with contests to see who could hold on to a lit one as long as possible. One of my roommates ended up with a burned hand doing that. So seeing all those kids and younger people out setting off fireworks brought back fond memories. I love the smell of fireworks too, and the air was full of it.

Both cities each set off a wonderful show. My Mom and I parked so we could see both displays. After I had dropped her back to her place and driven home, the neighborhood fireworks were still going off. I have a great neighborhood for fireworks, the people really get into it. I wouldn't have had to leave home to see some really nice displays! My only worry was that many of the fireworks went right over my roof. I was just a bit afraid of the roof catching on fire. But it didn't. At least last night.

I do hope they won't keep firing them off quite so late/early tonight, though. An older woman needs her sleep, you know. And I have to get up for work at 5 a.m. Hope YOUR celebration was spectacular and fun!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have the yearly Port festival where I am...and on the last night there is a huge fireworks display right over the ocean! (Nothing to do with the 4th of course...). Glad y'all had a good time.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I stayed up WAAAAY too late and I'm paying for it now!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I love the little secrets about police-shadowing and fireworks smoke-loving....

8:06 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

See...good story telling!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

"Older woman?"

Oh puh-lease. You have a teenage spirit, PB. Don't ever lose that!

The fireworks sound like a lot of fun. I used to try to photograph them, but never with much success.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I love watching fireworks and we have an international annual firworks competition that runs for 21 days straight that is something to see.
Iknow what you mean about the loud bangs that make your heart hop and if they are big you blink to. LOL

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home