Tuesday, June 19, 2007


There's an old saying, "Be careful what you wish for." And I think, maybe I shouldn't have wished for rain! The seeds not yet up in the garden are being washed around, plants that are up flattened and the grass in the yard is growing taller and taller. It's too wet to mow and I have nightmares of the weeds reclaiming the yard again! When I moved in here the yard was like a vacant lot, with tall chest-high grass and weeds. The kind neighbors helped me get it down to lawn-sized and first my son, and now I, have been mowing it ever since to keep it looking normal.

I've been getting rid of things on Freecycle. So far someone has come to get the kerosene heater, the large dog kennel/carrier and just last night, the chain-link fence. Yes, I suppose I could have sold those things and received some much-needed money. But that would take an ad, of some sort, many phone calls, people not showing up for the appointment, and people looking at the item and saying, "No, that's not what I had in mind." I like this way better, I don't need to give out my name or address, just the general area (alleyway) and they can pick it up. And even that information is given to only one of the people who email my Freecycle mail account. If he/she doesn't come to get the item within a day or two, I go on to give the info to the second in line person. I had 20 or 30 people email me for the fence, probably 20 each for the dog kennel/carrier and the heater. It's a great way to clear the storage shed of things that have been sitting around. And I didn't even need to fix or clean up the things I was getting rid of.

Although it's Tuesday already, I had an exciting weekend and will recap, briefly (I hope, but don't hold your breath!) Saturday, as I already mentioned in the previous post, I was going to go to a grad party but ended up not going. Mom and I had lunch then hit some rummage sales and flea markets where she found lots of books. It was humid and hot that day so when we came back to her house, I set up her fan in the living room.

On Sunday I went to the first church and instead to booting out right away to drive across the bridge to the second church, I sat and had coffee with my high school best friend and caught up on her news, and had many good laughs at that table, as they were singing old funny camp songs. After that it was too late to go to the second church so I did a mini-grocery trip and went home.

I was really hungry and started to make lasagne when SLA called me about her grandson's birthday and gave me the address of her son's apartment. I told her that I'd be there shortly after 2:00. Right after that my son called and invited me to come and visit them next weekend. They've moved into a new apartment so I'll be bringing a few of his things with me when I come down there. I put the lasagne in the oven and was doing the dishes, wrapping the gift and cleaning up when there was a knock on the door. It was the realtor wanting to show the house!

He apologized for the lack of warning, but I said, "No, that's fine. I want to sell the house. Just give me a minute and I'll go out the back way." So I shut off the oven, dumped the dishwater, grabbed the rhubarb for SLA and the gift and rushed out the back door. Then I was all excited thinking, "Maybe this it is! Maybe they will make an offer on the house."

The birthday party was outside and it was cold and windy. I hadn't grabbed a sweater or jacket but SLA lent me a spare sweater from her car. The party was fun. We watched a little boy, "Little Jimmy" while Big Jimmy, his Dad went into the basement with the other guys. I have no idea how old Little Jimmy is, somewhere between one and two years old, I guess. Funny how the ability to tell kid's ages leaves after a while, as does the ability to entertain and keep little kids happy. Big Jimmy told us to make sure Little Jimmy didn't run out into the alleyway, and he certainly wanted to! But they had one of those huge ballpit thingys with a small ladder and slide, so Little Jimmy was happy doing that. Turns out that Big Jimmy was helping to put together one of those cars that run on the sidewalk. It was a mini SUV and the cutest thing, but so dangerous to give to a two-year-old!

We had excellent BBQ (I was SO hungry by this time!) and birthday cake. Grandbaby received lots of other gifts. Finally I went back home fully expecting to have a message on an offer for the house. Nothing. And as of today, still nothing. Oh well.


Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow....you really DID have a busy weekend! :)

I sure could use some BBQ right about now! :)

9:29 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I think I wouold need a vacation after having a weekend like yours! LOL

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really rip-roaring weekend... sounds better than most of my weekdays!

4:22 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get an offer! Feel free to send some of that rain this way, we could use it.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Gezz, you had a busy weekend didn't you.

Lack of warning, lets try no warning but like you said when you want to sell there is always a back door to slip out of.

11:57 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Hang in there!

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home