Saturday, August 06, 2005

Getting ready to go

Stopped at the bank after work last night to get my travel cash. Even though we have a per diem, I need to shell out the money and get my reimbursement later—in other words I need to be carrying cash and my credit card for this trip for work! I got out my suitcase but haven’t started to pack it yet. I have a huge bundle of work to bring and finish (hopefully!) on the plane and in the hotel. I’m bringing a laptop from work to do my tasks. Bringing a laptop through the airport security is a pain, you have to take it out of the case. That wouldn’t be so bad but you also have to empty your pockets, take off your jacket, and remove your shoes. Last time I was stopped and searched because my purse had some change (coins) in it. I was frustrated and told the searcher guy (who wore gloves) where are people supposed to carry coins? I can’t have them in my pockets either!

I’m bringing a camera in the hopes of getting some photos but usually don’t take any during work trips. Well, except for the photos of my hotel room that I always take for my Mom! She likes to see where I’m staying. My family and friends think it’s oh so glamorous to travel for work and suggest fun places to stop and local attractions to see but I basically see the area from a plane window, a cab window and the hotel windows! This time we will be checking out some of the convention tours to see how well they will work. So I might actually get to see some sights. This trip is a site visit for setting up our upcoming convention and most of the time will be spent in meetings with the local people we have contracted for convention services. And even though it probably will be even hotter down there than it’s been here, I’m not too worried, I’ll be in air conditioning most of the time!

I will stop at the hotel gift shop and buy a bunch of stuff for family and friends. That’s probably why they still think my travel is so fabulous. That and the required post cards that I have to send everyone. It’s not like I usually get to see any of those sights except through a window. But the hotel gift shop is usually well-stocked with all sorts of area oddities and fun items. It’s also nice to have the luxury of a hotel room. I really love the long, hot showers, not possible at home.


Quick Quotes
"Experts in Washington say that if the coast guard's ships aren't replaced soon, they will be unable to keep drugs and illegal aliens from entering our country. God forbid that should ever happen -- imagine what this place would be like if illegal aliens and drugs were able to get in here?" --Jay Leno

"Today California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger gave a speech on the dangers of global warming. His exact words were, 'Fire...hot...bad!'" --Conan O'Brien


Your Blogging Type is Artistic and Passionate
You see your blog as the ultimate personal expression - and work hard to make it great.
One moment you may be working on a new dramatic design for your blog...
And the next, you're passionately writing about your pet causes.
Your blog is very important - and you're careful about who you share it with.

13 Comments:

Blogger sumo said...

Have a very good time...see as much as you are able. As far as trip trinkets go...I'm real easy to buy for. I'll send my address around to ya real quick so there won't be any time disparity. I'm so excited...when will you be back????? Heh heh!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

hope you have a fab trip even though its for work...hotel rooms are great as long as they are at a good hotel, i've stayed in some dodgy ones too in my time...lol

i'm sure yours is very plush...

have you put your neopets in the hotel while you are away...???

:0)

6:16 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I hope you have a safe trip and will be able to catch some sights this time!!!

6:51 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

The nonsense at airports is so silly. I liken it to locking a gate after all the cows have left the pasture. If a planeload of people think they're going to die--the terrorists don't stand a chance--the other passengers will tear them apart. As Mr T would say, "I pity the fools".

7:12 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Business trips always sound more exciting than they are in reality.
Hope you get to have some fun on this one..

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun...

10:35 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I hope you have a great trip and that you get to see SOME of the area you are in. I really hope so.
Take care
btw my blog personality =Your Blogging Type is Kind and Harmonious

11:14 AM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

What is a PB Switch? I am just curious.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good trip - even if it is work!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Mary Lou said...

Saw that you had stopped by my blog, so I stopped in to say Welcome! I read all of these entries, and I know what you mean about blogging from work. I worked for the Dept of Defense, and you just cant do ANYTHING on a govt pc except work related stuff unless you want the whole world reading it. So I retired, and now I can say anything I want! And the whole world can still read it, but now I dont care! :)

Hope you continue to stop in, when you have time, and I'll have the Pot on! (uh, that is COFFEE or TEA pot...)

www.whidbeydreamer.blogspot.com

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good trip, thank you for the comment earlier today!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi PBS, thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you have a safe trip. I have to confess I've been known to think it rather snazzy to be jetting all over the show like this, but then I'm in NZ...getting on a plane means big things to me lol

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm scared to take that test! It might say I am a reject!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home