Monday, January 30, 2006

Home, and exhausted

Well, I'm home and exhausted. But which home? It's been quite the day, but let's start with Sunday. I stopped at the apartment on my way to my Mom's and dropped off some more plants and some other stuff. The toilet was still not hooked up, although they had told us they'd do it Saturday night. I visited with my Mom during the day, loaded up a floor lamp and a couple of her chairs to bring to the apartment. Sunday was snowy and the country roads were slippery, so she did not want to follow me up to see the apartment and pick out her bedroom. I stopped and unloaded the lamp and chairs on Sunday night--and the toilet was not hooked up yet. I put a roll of TP on the holder in the bathroom, laid out hand soap and towels, hint hint!

Woke up early Monday morning and started in on cleaning and packing. The packing has been difficult, because there is absolutely no room to put the boxes. We had been hoping to clear some of the large furniture out to give us more packing room. When it got to 7:00 a.m. I started calling places, like the phone company. If you have a lot of patience, let me tell you how THAT went!

I called our old phone company to switch the service to our new place and--they don't have service in our new state! I was so surprised at this new development that I was pretty well stopped in my tracks. When I asked them what company does the local phone lines, they couldn't tell me, said they didn't know. Have you ever tried to look up a telephone company's number in a rival company's phone book? Guess I'd never thought of it in quite that way before, but I can tell you now that it's surprisingly difficult! What compounded the problem was that I didn't know the name of the new company, was searching blind, so to speak. If it hadn't been 7:00 in the morning, I could have just called my friend, who moved there recently, and easily found out. But she's a night person and would not appreciate a call at that hour. So I went back online (have dial up, so can't do both at the same time) and searched for phone companies in the new city. There were all sorts of wireless, internet and other services but I couldn't find a plain old land-line phone company.

Son and I had visited a cell store on Saturday to check some of the family plans and I had run it by my Mom on Sunday during our weekly visit. My Mom wanted a land line. There was one local phone company that turned up a lot in my searches, so I got offline and called them. Turns out that they do local service, but tried to sell me internet, wireless, DSL and everything else too. They did let slip the name of the regular phone company, so I cut off my conversation with them, hung up and called the other company. This went fine until I gave them my new address. They said they had no record of anyone having phone service with that address, was I sure it was correct? I told them that was what the landlord had said. They asked who at last lived in the apartment, which I didn't know. They suggested I call the landlord to doublecheck the address. Even though I insisted that it was correct they refused to start new service! So I called the landlord at work and asked again, also about the toilet situation. The landlord said, "I thought you guys were going to move in on Saturday?" And I said, "We couldn't very well move in with no working toilet." But the landlord did reassure me that the address was correct, just that the former tenants hadn't had a phone!

So I called back and got that straightened out. The whole phone change had taken an hour-and-a-half, much longer than I'd planned. Then called the long distance company with our new number. I called the insurance company and happily told them we didn't need homeowner's insurance any more. And since I had just received a $700 + bill due on February 15, that was pretty sweet. Then called the car insurances and some more stuff, and did more packing, putting boxes on top of boxes. It was a mess.

While packing, I suddenly got really dizzy and had to lie down. It scared me a bit but I think I was just so worked up from everything that's gone on, plus, as mentioned in the last post, my son was a bit sick this weekend, even though he still went to work. I was still feeling kinda whirly when my son finally got up (he had worked late) and we got Pseudo Son and went to the U-Haul. At 2:30 we rented a truck, went to the storage shed for the large bed and kitchen table, then home to add more chairs, the smaller table, a desk and a bunch of other things. Drove to the new place, carried them all up, got fast food, zipped back home where my son had to get ready and get to work by 5:30!

I just brought Pseudo Son back home. It was his birthday today, but he was too tired to want to go anywhere or do anything special. The place is a mess after taking out some furniture, but at least we've gotten a start! More moving tomorrow.

If I ever blabber on about moving again, please just hit me on the head to set me straight!

4 Comments:

Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Sounds very interesting!!!! More more more...

9:56 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You poor darling, you need a hot bath, warm drink and a massage :)

2:22 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I think Michelle has the right idea.

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep I agree with Michelle too. Hope you are OK. It all sounds rather hectic for you.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home