Sunday, January 29, 2006

False alarm, we didn't move yesterday

Well, we didn't move yesterday. Here's the story on that. Are you getting tired of these stories and all of the drama associated with this move? I know that I sure am...at this point I just want it all to be over.

My son and I went over to the place bright and early yesterday. We had to wait for quite a while for the landlords to show up. It was windy and felt bitterly cold, even though the temperature wasn't that bad. My son met the landlords and took a tour of the place (that didn't take very long, even though this is the largest 3-bedroom apartment available). Then we paid the first month's rent, read through the rental contract. The lease agreement is pretty strict about the animals, the poor ferrets and chinchilla are not supposed to be out of their cages. While we never allow them out unsupervised, we do take them out to exercise and play with them. Now if we do that, we'd better not get caught. It's going to be different living in an apartment after owning for 12 years! My son was not disturbed by the animal restrictions in the lease. He's lived in an apartment much more recently than I have. He said it's the "rodent clause" where creatures like that are not ever supposed to be loose. They can make us get rid of the animals, if we don't comply with their rules.

OK, we signed three sets of the lease and got to keep one copy. The landlords gave us only one set of keys, so I need to go and get more made today before going out to my Mom's house. She's eager to hear all about the move. I wanted to bring her to town to select which bedroom she would like. I had them sorted out, more or less, with me taking the smallest, most boring one. But my son (who has a better eye for such things) says that the L-shaped room will barely fit a queen-sized bed. Both he and my Mom will have that size bed. So I will probably get that room, which will be good for me. Son was initially quite happy with the apartment and the move, but today he's not very positive about it, and fretting. I'm afraid my Mom may be like that, too, once she sees those stairs. I really wish the two of them had been with me in my long and frantical search for something better. Then they would appreciate this choice much more, oh well.

After we had signed the lease(s) the landlord said, "So, are you going to bring in some things today?" And we had barely started telling her of our plans to move two truck loads on Saturday and basically be living there from then on, when she said, "We didn't get the toilet hooked up yet, so I hope you won't be saying overnight here yet."

What? Now that would have been a good thing to know before I had planned and organized the entire day! We were going to move our beds and all of our stuff. I can't do the sleep-on-the-floor thing anymore, like I could when younger. So we called off the move. Of course I had to go to the bathroom as soon as I heard the toilet wasn't hooked up!

I did move over a jeep-load, including some plants yesterday while going to meet a friend for tea. The load barely made a dent in all the stuff we have to move and the running up and down the stairs seven times yesterday was a good workout. Now I'm fretting about the move a little, too!

We're hoping to move tomorrow. My son works later in the day so we'll start early. I'm bringing another jeep-load over today while on the way to my Mom's. I'll check to see if the toilet is hooked up yet. Geez.

Yesterday was the V-Man's birthday. I mailed him the card and gift. He called and left a message of thanks. I just knew there would be no time to drive out there to see him. Hope he had a good one.

Also yesterday in the mail we each received the notification for the postal service test. Guess when it's being held? On Friday morning, of course, the same time as the house closing. So now I will have to change the time, if I still can. My son is not feeling well this morning but has to work later. I sure will be glad when this all is done. And I'm sure you will too, after all of my complaining and stressing out over it!

14 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It has becoe a saga I tell you.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Moving is always stressful and it demands a lot more effort than one could initially imagine... but don't worry, soon you'll be all set at your new place and thay day you'll feel a well deserved rest to the very last bone of your body... I'd start thinking about a drink to celebrate that first moment of peace at home.
Happy Sunday!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Restless Angel said...

Wow, good luck! I hate moving!!!!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a nightmare. Hope it all gets sorted soon.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

PBS, i hope your son feels well soon. It's probably that that's making him feel uneasy about the apartment...not feeling himself.
Oh my i don't envy your moving all your stuff, i dread having to move one day. The apartment does sound very nice though :)

5:47 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

It is a saga, but I don't mind hearing about it. I can not believe that they did not tell you about the toilet that is terrible.

I hope that all goes well from now on.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moving is a pain! I better hire some personal assistants!

2:21 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I hate moving!!!!!!!!

3:34 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

When it rains, it pours, huh? Dang broken toilet!!!

And I sympathize with you...I think moving is one of my LEAST favorite things to do! It rates right up there with a root canal, you know???

Good luck!

7:39 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Well, you definitely need a toilet.

I hope that everything goes smoothly from now on.

Moving is always such a hassle isn't it?

You make me want to move less and less. :)

8:11 AM  
Blogger katie said...

How long does it take to hook up a toilet? Here is to hoping that you get settled in soon!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Moving is so annoying sometimes I hope you get a chance to get it over with soon!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Oh, the renting/owning conflict! At least when you own, you can set your own timetable, fix your own toilet...on the other hand, you don't have to if you don't want to when you rent.

You sound so on top of it though; I'd feel like a wreck!

1:00 PM  
Blogger angela marie said...

Geez. Talk about your ups and downs.

Good luck with everything!

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home